Hard cider hangovers are the worst.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoRoom4Error

Reaction score
So I over indulged this previous memorial day weekend by drinking "too much" of my freshly made and oh so delicious cider. The resulting hang over come Tuesday morning lasted the entire day and night which from my hangover meter is about 12 hrs too long in comparison to drinking beer in the same doses and alcohol %.

Anyone agree or am I just getting old? (33 yrs)

Cheers!

I think it's more what your used too, I can drink cider and spirits all night long but more than 2 beers and I'll write the next day off...

I had three pints of my PomApfelwein on Sunday (stopped drinking at 6pm) and had a wicked headache all day monday. It finally went away around 3pm or so. This cider kicks my butt! I'm about the same age as well.

For the first two or three times I started drinking homebrewed ciders/apfelwein I got it pretty bad the next morning with a sore stomach from the yeast. Now I can drink it all night and wake up feeling fine. Not even a little queezy.

I had a friend that I was stationed with come to visit this memorial day, we finished off a gallon of Cherry cider. The hangover was horrible, we finally got tired of it and hooked up an I.V. for each other, and after a 1000 ml bag it finally went away. If you can swing it I.V.'s are the best cure for a hangover.

What the heck?

Are you sure you didn't ferment it too warm?

The only time I've had a bad hangover batch was from fermentation that was too warm. It made some crazy alcohols. The rest I have been able to drink a ton of (as have my guests) and no hangovers.

What was your cider made from? (yeast, juice, etc...)

It was made with store bought apple juice and Oregon canned cherries. The yeast was Nottingham, and it was fermented at 65 degrees.

Tnoodle- my friend is an army guy and SWEARS by the IV method- says the hangover is gone like magic- I am a big puss when it comes to needles, don't know if i could stick myself, but if you have a friend, then OK :)

SaccharoVices said:
Tnoodle- my friend is an army guy and SWEARS by the IV method- says the hangover is gone like magic- I am a big puss when it comes to needles, don't know if i could stick myself, but if you have a friend, then OK :)

The IV is awesome, I couldn't stick myself very well, we had to when we went through training but I was terrible at it. So I let my hungover friend do it this time. They work great, sake is pretty bad to, but I think that all the sugars in the cider were what did us in.

Back