Hard cider froze in the fridge :( Is it a goner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantonsoup

Reaction score
Got a new fridge and apparently I didn't test out the temperature settings well enough, I just checked on my carbonated bottles of apple cider and saw that there's ice in them. :eek:

Is it going to be ruined or completely different now?

I turned down the fridge a bit and will let the drinks come up to the normal fridge temps slowly.

If the cap isn't pressed out you're probably OK, just be aware the yeast are probably dead so no more carbing and ageing more might be out of the question.

Freezing won't kill yeast. Could make them a little lazy. I store yeast frozen.

Good point, but that's with glycerin or something correct?
I'm sure there is still some viability, and probably enough to be sufficient for carbing, but that at least some of them are certainly dead.

Sorry if I wasn't clear - the cider is done, the bottles are (or were?) already carbonated. Then they were put into the fridge where they froze slightly.

I'm concerned about the quality of the cider, and the carbonation. How does freezing/thawing affect that?

Heh, jacking only works if you remove the ice...

Anyway, your cider is fine. Enjoy. In fact, have one--wouldn't that have answered this question, actually?

In the old days, cider was pressed, dumped into barrels, and stored out by the barn over the winter. It froze and melted over and over.

Back