Hard Cider from Frozen Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsherm

Reaction score
I have about 3 gallons of cider from this past year that I froze for later. Can I still make cider out of this? Will the fact that it was frozen affect anything in the fermentation process?

I had the same "problem", too much juice and not enough carboys to ferment it all at once. The good news is it ferments just fine, in fact freezing seems to "lock up" the pectin and it will fall out quickly to crystal clear. I haven't figured out if/how it affects the taste and weather or not it can be corrected. Go for it and good luck.

It'll be absolutely fine and I wouldn't expect it to cause anything noticeable, but I honestly never did a back to back comparison. I like to buy a gallon every week or so from the local orchard throughout the season and stock them up until they close, because the apples being pressed change throughout. I freeze the early ones, and blend them altogether to ferment.

I froze 4 G of fresh cider this year and used it a month later in my 'Gunslinger Cranberry Graf'. Turned out great. No difference in taste over previous year's versions.

Back