Hard Apple Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer

Reaction score
I spoke with a local brewery today, they suggested 25% DME and then 3-4 gallons of Apple Juice. Any ale yeast and let it go to town...

Thoughts?

Sounds good, but I'm looking for more of an apple flavored ale. I'll definitely try that as well. Does it end up carbonated? Doesn't seem like it, but also doesn't seem like it'd be tough to do, either.

Sounds good, but I'm looking for more of an apple flavored ale. I'll definitely try that as well. Does it end up carbonated? Doesn't seem like it, but also doesn't seem like it'd be tough to do, either.

Yeah, you're looking for a Graff. There's a thread on the stuff in the cider forum.

I actually made an apple ale, similar to what you're referencing. I used a gallon of apple juice, a pound of DME, and some nottingham ale yeast. Its very beery, and high on alcohol content. I'm hoping some age helps it, and I would expect that a couple months in the bottle will do it well as its very sweet but has a yeasty taste that may go away with aging. Kind of wonder how hops would have worked in it to give it a slight bitterness... something like spalt hops might be ok but I wasn't willing to go that far into experimental territory.

I'm doing this in a 5 gallon carboy. Based on 1 gallon water, 4 gallons apple juice, 2lb LME, 1 cup dextrose, and 11.5g SS-04, do you expect a big krausen? Just curious. I've got an airlock on there right now, but I haven't pictched yeast yet. I've got stuff to make another blow off, but I really need it for another ale I'm brewing tomorrow so I was hoping to get by with an airlock only.

Thoughts?

Watch it close, my one gallon batch needed a blowoff but thats because it was filled within two inches of the top of the one gallon jug. I lost about a half inch due to blowoff. If you were using wine yeast, you'd be ok, but the DME and beer yeast will create a good krausen with this, so its prudent to use a blowoff.

I made this as my second batch over 8 years ago. I don't remember too much about the results of it. Last year I found a bottle of it in a box that had survived at least 3 moves. It was very oxidized, but interesting.

Back