Harbor freight pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edbeenbreto

Reaction score
So I was at my local harbor freight the other day killing time and I came across this pump that looks like a chugger pump it says stainless steel head ( but then again it's harbor freight) Has anyone had any luck with these? I'm just asking because the more I can save, the more I can brew.

image.jpg

As mentioned here before if you do a search they are Not food safe.

If your on a budget I recommend the tan food grade pumps I use them and they work great for $20

As mentioned here before if you do a search they are Not food safe.

If your on a budget I recommend the tan food grade pumps I use them and they work great for $20

It says right on the box "Potable Water" that should mean that it is food safe....

added: at least it says that on the box below???

I bought one of those a long time ago for utility use and they pretty much suck.*

And running on 12V they are definitely not a chugger. I imagine they are about the same as a p38i type pump off of e-bay.. I should see if I can find that HF pump and compare the two. I'd not use it for beer...

* Disclaimer.. some of their bigger pumps are pretty decent.. but not that one.

It says right on the box "Potable Water" that should mean that it is food safe....

added: at least it says that on the box below???

Then that is a newer model that wasnt around when I went there and checked them out a year ago... in any case as mentioned they likely arent that good I believe they are not meant to run for extended time frames or longevity. I believe It even states it somewhere on the box if I remember right.

What is the temp rating on it? there are likely components inside that render it NON food grade and temps over 170...

The 24v p38 pumps deliver 3.2 gallons per minute and are more than enough for homebrewing... there are more powerful p-38 3.5 amp 12v versions that pump up to 5.2 gallons per minute.... why use an 8 gpm pump when to get the best performance you have to throttle is down to 2gpm for recirculating sparging and chilling anyway?

Then that is a newer model that wasnt around when I went there and checked them out a year ago... in any case as mentioned they likely arent that good I believe they are not meant to run for extended time frames or longevity. I believe It even states it somewhere on the box if I remember right.

What is the temp rating on it? there are likely components inside that render it NON food grade and temps over 170...

The 24v p38 pumps deliver 3.2 gallons per minute and are more than enough for homebrewing... there are more powerful p-38 3.5 amp 12v versions that pump up to 5.2 gallons per minute.... why use an 8 gpm pump when to get the best performance you have to throttle is down to 2gpm for recirculating sparging and chilling anyway?

To my eyes, that box says "Portable....." NOT Potable(?)

I use their 254 gph (or something like that) submersible fountain pump for running water through my IC, and it works great for that. But I wouldn't let it touch anything that will end up in my mouth. Good deal for the $12 I spent on it!

Back