Harbor Freight burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krops13

Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanna know what you guys think about this weed burner as a HLT burner. Harbor Freight Weed Burner I have the space under my brewstand to mount it, heck I could even hold it. It puts out a very serious amount of heat. The $20 price tag is super enticing, even more so since I already have one. Getting your guys opinion before I burn eye brows off. :mug:

Maybe outdoors. If it comes loose and torches the wall indoors you may get some ash in the wort.

Ok did some tests and got some numbers.
Did 9 1/2 gallons of water with the burners near the same distance.
The weed burner was 1/3 of the way on. While the turkey fryer was
on full.

Harbor Freight Weed Burner
86F -> 116 in 5 mins​
Turkey Fryer (what I've been using)
90 -> 110 in 5 mins​

With these numbers the weed burner can bring the HLT from 85 to
212 in 22 mins. Where the turkey fryer would take 33 mins.

Like pretty much everyone i'm skeptical of HF's quality, i'd barely even want to use one of their electric saws in fear it would fall apart, no way in hell you could pay me to use something of theirs that's flammable hooked up to a tank of propane.

BIG NOPE!

Especially not when you can get a SP-10 Banjo burner for $50 pretty much anywhere.

You could flame the side of the tank with the thrower while cooking the bottom with the burner..

Northern Brewer's burner is like $40. I agree with the above sentiments on mounting a Harbor Freight flame thrower anywhere in or near my house.

Unknown.jpeg

grathan said:
Maybe outdoors. If it comes loose and torches the wall indoors you may get some ash in the wort.

True homebrewer... It may torch ur garage walls, burn down ur house, but the only downside truly is that the burned upwalls might add off flavors to ur beer! :)

You could use two for the same price as one of those pricey turkey burners. Plus, you could speed up that heating time considerably as well.

It got really good reviews, so I'm not sure on the "it's probably crap" notion. Not everything is great from HD for sure but this may be ok. It could possibly be mounted and could be a good backup.

Back