Happy Homebrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
I'm so glad I started homebrewing. Last night I took gravities on my Traquair House clone, my Murphy's Stout clone and my Hobgoblin clone (which were 1.020, 1.012 and 1.018 respectively, if you cared). I of course had to taste the gravity samples and wow! The Traquair House clone is about a month old and really nice now. The Murphy's clone, which was a recipe I kind of threw together without much information, is awesome! I was amazed at how much it tasted like the real thing. I only wish I had a nitro system for it. And the Hobgoblin clone, of course, tasted great. Still got a little fermenting to do but it's always a pleaser.

Fast forward to today. Kegged the Traquair House clone this morning. Ran to the LHBS and picked up some grains for a nut brown I'll be making in a couple weeks and some yeast and sugar for apfelwein. Picked up apple juice at the grocery store, came home and whipped up a batch of apfelwein. It's bubbling away right now.

Tonight I had the pleasure of toasting my own brown malt. The LHBS didn't have brown malt, which I plan on using for the nut brown, so I decided to make my own. Read How to Brew - By John Palmer - Toasting Your Own Malt and went to work. Soaked a pound of maris otter in water for 30 minutes, drained, and spread out on a foil-lined baking pan. Put into a 350 degree F over an gave it a stir every 15 minutes or so. Also took samples at 30, 60, 90 and 120 minutes to compare for future use. It was actually a really informative and fun experiment (and the one-hour sample tasted amazing!). According to Palmer, 2 hrs is supposed to closely mimic brown malt, so that's what I went with. It's sitting in a brown paper bag right now mellowing for the nut brown in two weeks.

I love this hobby!:mug:

I'll bet roasting that smelled great too... although ...does it get any kind of burned smell after that 2 hours?

The smell was great from about 30 minutes to 1.5 hrs. After that it did start to get a little roasted smelling but not in a bad way. I still prefer the 1 hr sample over everything though. It was awesome!

I forgot to mention in the above post that I also bottled a small gallon batch of apfelwein and a small gallon batch of mead today too. Pretty productive!

More so than I... I didn't do any beer related stuff today except drink two pints.

Very nice! You know, you should bring some of them brews down to Satisfaction at Brightleaf square on Wednesday for the TRUB Homebrew Club meeting. Starts at 7:00 and it's a good time. Good bunch of guys there and some damn fine brewers as well!
TRUB :: TRiangle Unabashed homeBrewers

Back