Hanks Hefe Weizen advice....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col224

Reaction score
Ok, So I'm brewing a Midwest kit called Hank's Hefe weizen tomorrow. I ordered it with Weihenstephan Weizen Wyeast Propagator 3068 and made a starter for that last night. I'll be doing a 2.5 gal partial boil.

The ingredients for the kit are:
6 lbs wheat LME
1 lb light DME
8 oz carapils grains
1 oz traditional german hops

My question is if anyone knows any ways to improve this recipe(anything to add to it) or just any general advice for brewing a hefe weizen. I've search and I know that I should use a blowoff tube, that if I want more banana flavor I should ferment higher than if I want cloves, and I know it should be drank young(I'm definitely fine with that).

Thanks.

I made this beer and fermented it too warm, which gave me an overwhelming banana flavor and some fusels. It wasn't incredibly pleasant. That said, the basic recipe is a good one, just don't ferment past like 72.

Edit: Brewing Classic Styles recommends basically this exact recipe, and the key fermentation temperature being 62. Apparently that helps reduce off-flavors from fermentation but still gives you a nice balance of the flavors you do want. So there ya go.

I have this in my secondary now. Def use a blow off tube, I am fermenting at 65ish and it is still active on day 12... Keep an eye out for my post. Should be another 2 weeks before it is on tap for me. Probably one more in the primary, then one in keg, then on tap.

I will be brewing my second midwest Hanks Hefe Weizen kit this coming sun

as I am down to 4 bottles from the first batch

went fast

I may do at least one a month as I love this beer

only thing other than the blowoff tube and temp control

you must use a liquid yeast YMMV

:mug:

I will be brewing my second midwest Hanks Hefe Weizen kit this coming sun
Glad to hear it was a good beer, just a few questions

How long did you ferment the beer in the primary?
Did you secondary?
How long did you bottle condition before it was at its prime?
Thanks!

Please keep us posted!! I'm a newbie to yet get started, but my goal is to brew a good Hefe Weizen!

Goodluck and happy brewing!! :mug:

I think its a myth that warmer=bananna, cooler=clove. I've taken Jamil's advice and ferment all my hefes lower than 70. Usually 65-68. It gives a nice balanced great tasting beer. Of course higher temps will lead to ester and fusels.

I left it for three weeks primary

and three weeks in bottle

no secondary would only do that if I was adding fruit

like a rasberry Hefe Weizen man that sounds good

since it did so well my second try was a midwest Porter

let it go for six weeks in primary

only been bottled for a bit over a week

Yeah, This is definitely an active one. I still have pretty good amount of bubbles into my blowoff at 6 days. I wasn't able to get it as low as I wanted to but I've kept it between 68-70. I'm sure it will still be good, if not esters settle out some as it bottle conditions right?

Jamil mentioned doing a lagering fermentation after the primary. Anybody tried that??

sorta.....

I have an AG recipe that is simlar to the Midwest kt. Basically a simple Hefe using Bavarian yeast and a 60/40 Wheat/Pale split.

I ferment in the mid 60's, keep in primary for 3 weeks, then condition at 50 degrees for two weeks.

This gives me a little more crisp beer as well as accentuates the clove phenols, based on experience.

Pitch the yeast @ ~62F. Let the beer temp rise up to ~68F during the first couple days of fermentation. That will give you plenty of "banana" & no fusels. Once the bulk of the fermentation is over (2-3 days) let it slide back to ~64F for the balance of the fermentation. It should be done in 2 weeks if everything is done correctly.

I did this one for my second beer and zested 4 oranges in it, and took the heart of the oranges and made a tea out of them adding them all to the fermenter. It was delicious the orange was very faint, and the banana flavor showed through. I loved it.

I started this one last week. I pitched at 68, but the next day was quite warm, and the fermenter went up to 77. It is in a plastic fermenter, and the top and bottom were bulging out, and the airlock was full of krausen. I just pulled the airlock out and let it foam, and moved the bucket to the basement and let the beer cool down. Once it did, I was able to replace the airlock, and fermentation is now at 66. It was crazy.

Does anyone know how this will affect the flavor of the beer? Will it be overly banana flavored and undrinkable?

I started this one last week. I pitched at 68, but the next day was quite warm, and the fermenter went up to 77. It is in a plastic fermenter, and the top and bottom were bulging out, and the airlock was full of krausen. I just pulled the airlock out and let it foam, and moved the bucket to the basement and let the beer cool down. Once it did, I was able to replace the airlock, and fermentation is now at 66. It was crazy.

Does anyone know how this will affect the flavor of the beer? Will it be overly banana flavored and undrinkable?

Not from what I understand, especially if you give it enough time to mellow. You might run the risk of having some off flavor if you drink it too early, just give it plenty of time, 2+ weeks in the primary or so at the cooler temp.

Thanks dougriddle. That's what I was planning on doing. I'll let it sit in the fermenter for probably 3 to 4 weeks.

I'm thinking Fusel Alcohol :drunk: & Esters :ban: up the wazoo @ 77F. Only time will tell.

I would say it was only in that condition for a few hours before I was able to cool it.

I bottled the Hefe yesterday, and it smelled very strongly like banana, but the taste was more balanced. I think it should be very drinkable.

I did a week at 14C (57F), and fermentation has all but stopped, save a burp every 5 mins or so. I have now upped it to around 17 - 18C (64F), as I am hoping to get some heavy cloves - btw I used the Danstar Munich yeast (which was intense!).

I am brewing another batch this week, where I want to try a plain 64F ferment, and see what difference it made...will let you know!

I brewed the Hank's Hefeweizen two weeks ago. I used white labs and after week one I wanted to transfer to the carboy, but it was still bubbling in the air lock about 10 times per second. So, I left it in the primary for another week. Half of the way through week two it stopped bubbling in the air lock. Do you recommend transferring to the secondary, if so how long should I leave it in the secondary? Also when you transfer do you try to keep all the dead yeast and sediment from going into the secondary? What methods do you use?

I let mine ferment for two weeks, then bottled without a secondary. I did make sure I hit the target gravity before bottling though. I didn't worry about sediment as that is part of the Hefeweizen style.

looking for the step by step and timetable of when to add ingredients for the hefe's posted . can ayone help?
thanks steve

Last night I enjoyed my first glass of Hefe, very similar to Hanks but it is AG and kegged. As of last night, i brewed it 12 days ago, force carbed. 12 days grain to glass, and it is awesome, can't beat it. 3068 is an animal, I like putting it to work around 63-64, it's so active it'll get up to around 68-70 inside the carboy the first few days

Back