hangovers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oguss0311

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to home brewing- and am curious about hangovers-...All obvious causes aside- I'm curious as to weather various techniques can help reduce the possibility or severity of hangovers. For example, I read that a blow-off tube would help you to remove byproducts and spent ingredients that give you hangovers. I've also read that this claim is total B.S., and that blow-off tubes are only needed if your primary is not really big enough. I've made three batches and every now and then I'll have two and go to sleep- only to awake with a decent headache. Did I drink while already slightly dehydrated? Could be- I can't recall. But if there are methods/ingredients that either help of hinder- I'd love to know all about them.
Thanks!

I think the most important step in making beer is fermentation. I suggest starting off with a nice big starter, this will ensure the yeast have a head start so that when they are pitched they can get to work, which would be growing and feeding on wort. Make sure to give it plenty of oxygen so that it can grow properly, this will decrease excessive ester and fusel (hangover culprit) formations. Once the yeast has grown and started fermenting, the brewer has to make sure that the yeast is within it's optimum fermentation temperature range. Yeast labs provide optimum temperatures on their strains, visit their websites to find out. I think the biggest cause of hangovers is when the beer was fermented too warm, I mean around 75-80F. High temperatures promote fusel alcohols, and when combined with esters will make the beer smell (maybe even taste) like nail polish remover. Try these steps next time and see whether the beer improves. Remember, make a big starter, add plenty of oxygen and ferment within the optimum temperature range. Once you become familiar with the strain you can experiment with temperature changes, different pitching rates, etc.

That's good info. Also, no matter what you're drinking, having a liter of water between beers will definitely limit your hangover. Some people will take tylenol, but keep in mind that your liver already has to process all the alcohol you drank, PLUS the tylenol. Stick with water, make sure you eat while drinking, and you'll be good.

That does shed some light on the subject, as I have not been bothering with yeast starters- and just pitching directly from the yeast container to the wort. Thanks for the knowledge! I'll most likely attempt a yeast starter next time or soon thereafter.

dibby33 said:
Drink constantly. Never stop.

Ha! I have also tried this "reconstitution method" aka "the shampoo effect"...it's a great ride, but when you come down expect to lay in bed for a few days....;) :)

Do you guys notice a difference in the "flavor" of hangovers from commercial and home brew? I do

Flavor might be a poor choice of words... Feels different

The biggest factor I have found is fermentation temps. My beer fermented under 70 gives me no hangover at all. My summer beer that fermented over 75 gives me a whopper of a hangover.

Cheers

shafferpilot said:
Nothin... and i mean NOTHIN cures a bad hangover like big glass of mimosa washing down some greasy eggs and bacon:mug:

Wrong. Breakfast bingers, an Egg McMuffin, a JO session, a powerdump and a nap.

This past summer the SWMBO got a weekend away from the crumb muncher (thanks to the in-laws) and went to a wedding where I proceeded to get polluted! The next morning I had a righteous hangover, but still made it to the spa where we had an appointment. A 1 hr. massage later, boom, hangover gone!!

Cheesefood said:
Wrong. Breakfast bingers, an Egg McMuffin, a JO session, a powerdump and a nap.

This is going on my refrigerator in checklist form.

Chad

On nights that I do drink past the buzzing stage, I drink a lot of water before going to bed, and take an 800mg motrin and I'm good to go in the morning.

Yall are all wrong. The ultimate cure for a hangover is breathing in pure oxygen. And the best way for me to do that, is to go to work, go to the cryogenics plant, and vent the Liquid Oxygen tank. :D

I've started a new habit of keeping a bottle of Gatorade next to my bed, that was when i am drunk i will drink it before i sleep and have never seen a hangover since.

Something to do with re-hydrationg

Oh, if that guy only knew what an incredible disservice he is doing to pot-heads everywhere. BTW do cops watch youtube videos?

Back