HandBanana Russian Imperial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99blackgt

Reaction score
This is what i'm thinking of doing on monday. First big big all grain. Dark lord day is comming up and i didn't get a stupid ticket (who's idea was that anyways) so for the first time in 3 years i can't go buy a darklord. So i figured i'd make my own. For what it's worth, this isn't meant to be a clone, just a crazy ass beer. The name is dumb i know. I'll probably change it, i just thought it would be funny to make a label that said "all it knows is good, and ball, and RAPE". But maybe i dont' want people to think it's really going to taste like banana.

I welcome comments. I've been drinkin an over hopped IPA i made and i'm going to finish my last 6 pack when brewing this so i need to get to brewin!

Gotta double check my LP before i start, i'm plannin on this being one hell of a boil process. I'm also trying out the wyeast 9093 imperial high gravity yeast. Anyone have any experience with that stuff? I've never tried it before.

Handbanana RIS
Imperial Stout

Type: All Grain
Date: 4/3/2009
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: HRH
Boil Size: 10.35 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 210 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Rubber Keg MLT (15 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 38.40 %
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 32.00 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.80 %
1 lbs Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 3.20 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3.20 %
1 lbs Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3.20 %
1 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.20 %
12.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 2.40 %
8.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.60 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 1.60 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.60 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.60 %
1.00 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (90 min) Hops 19.2 IBU
2.00 oz Spalter [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 20.2 IBU
1.00 oz Spalter [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
1 lbs Molasses (80.0 SRM) Sugar 3.20 %
1 tsp Vanilla Extract

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.138 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.034 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 13.80 %
Bitterness: 47.2 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 53.6 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: My Mash Total Grain Weight: 30.25 lb
Sparge Water: 5.33 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

My Mash Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min mash Add 37.81 qt of water at 167.1 F 155.0 F

FWIW i realize this is a very complicated grain bill. I'm hoping to get a very complex tast with a lot of mouth feel, and the obvious heavy sweet taste that RIS's are known for

I brewed this one three weeks ago today. I had to put a gallon pot under it for the blow off, lost probably 16oz of beer to the head bubbling out. Craziest beer i've ever seen in a carboy. At three weeks today it's still bubbling very slowly. I'm afraid to pull it off the yeast while it's still working. Anybody have any advice for a beer that's active this long? I have been set on just leaving it alone till it settles down. But i dont' want it to go bad. I could not believe how much C02 was pumping out of this thing when it first started. had it in a big 12oz cup 1/2 full of water and that filled up and was going over by the next morning, so i threw that cup as is into a big pot to catch, and the pot filled up about 2 inches.. crazy

O/g was 1.125 @ just under 6 gallons when i brewed it. Haven't had the balls to take the plug out to test it yet.

I brewed this one three weeks ago today. I had to put a gallon pot under it for the blow off, lost probably 16oz of beer to the head bubbling out. Craziest beer i've ever seen in a carboy. At three weeks today it's still bubbling very slowly. I'm afraid to pull it off the yeast while it's still working. Anybody have any advice for a beer that's active this long? I have been set on just leaving it alone till it settles down. But i dont' want it to go bad. I could not believe how much C02 was pumping out of this thing when it first started. had it in a big 12oz cup 1/2 full of water and that filled up and was going over by the next morning, so i threw that cup as is into a big pot to catch, and the pot filled up about 2 inches.. crazy

O/g was 1.125 @ just under 6 gallons when i brewed it. Haven't had the balls to take the plug out to test it yet.
I would think it is ready for secondary after 3 weeks, I know you cant see in the carboy but Im sure it has settled down by now, I say pull the plug and rack, then when you bottle, send one to me:D, that is a heck of a brew my friend, good luck:mug:

Sample that sucker if you'd like, but leave it in the primary for another 2 weeks at least. It won't hurt it and it will ensure attenuation is finished.

When it goes into secondary, be sure to top off with boiled water or purge with co2, then let it age at least another month before bottling. Trust me on this one, my last RIS aged in carboys for 6 months and it was FANTASTIC.

Congratulations on your gigantic beer! I hope to tackle an RIS sometime soon, but first I have to move to Eugene Oregon, so long aging beers are out of my jurisdiction for now.......

my plan was a 3-4 week primary and then a 4 week (minimum) secondary. I didn't think about blowing CO2 into the secondary, but i could easily do that. I'm going to try and save the yeast for later, nurse it back to health and do another RIS in a few months or something. But i don't know much about that (reading time). My concern was just that i didnt expect activity at this point. I've always let my beers sit on the yeasties for a little bit longer, 2 weeks minimum for most of them, but i've never seen this much activity after the first 10 days or so, and it's not my first big grav beer, but it is the first time using this big gravity imperial yeast. It's possible this yeast just takes it's sweet time.

I'll take the gravity when i get my new theif (cats knocked the other one off the counter) and then give it a week and check. If the activity stops after that 4 week mark i'll give it the second stage for a month, bottle, and if it doesn't suck all out (i really don't think it will) i'll send out a few 12's to some people that wanna try it

Sample that sucker if you'd like, but leave it in the primary for another 2 weeks at least. It won't hurt it and it will ensure attenuation is finished.

When it goes into secondary, be sure to top off with boiled water or purge with co2, then let it age at least another month before bottling. Trust me on this one, my last RIS aged in carboys for 6 months and it was FANTASTIC.
What recipe did you use for the FANTASTIC RIS Death? I have been thinking of doing one for Christmas or shortly after, thanks.:mug:

It was a modified version of Brewpastor's amazing RIS 08/08/08.

Here is the original recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/08-08-08-a-41782/index7.html#post409964

Here was my first brew day:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/whos-brewing-08-08-08-ris-post-your-notes-here-49497/index7.html#post497306

Both of the beers turned out great, but I liked mine better (it was more my style, not necessarily a better beer.)

I did pretty much the same recipe, but I used only fuggle for bittering, changed up the crystal malts and I think I used a different yeast. I'll post the recipe when I get home, if I remember.

the 080808 was one of the ones i looked at to formulate my recipe but i decided to go a little further with it. And obviously i completely changed the hops

Back