Hallertau Dry Hopped?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpr121

Reaction score
I have an IPA that I brewed with a ton of Cascade as flavor/aroma additions, Added about 8 ounces from 15 minutes to flameout on a 10 gallon batch. Bitterness was achieved with Nugget to about 65 IBU. The first 5 gallons I dryhopped with approximately 2 ounces more of Cascade.

I think I have reached my personal limit of Grapefruit/Citrus and would like to try something else to dry hop the second 5 gallons.

I have a bunch of Hallertau in the freezer, does anyone think these flavors/aromas will meld well together?

I am probably going to do it either way, but would like to get some input on what to look out for/quantities/etc. The rest of the recipe was majority US Two Row, a couple lbs of wheat malt, 1.5 lb Crystal 20L, and some Vienna (2 lbs).

Totally. I'm almost positive that Sam Adams Boston Ale (not lager, but ale) has Hallertauer as an aroma/flavor hop, and it is technically an APA. I would say that Hallertauer could make a great, if not unorthodox, IPA. It has a great character, totally versatile, very floral. To me, that's what homebrewing is all about; brewing stuff that you like that might not be "normal." Go for it!

I used Kent Golding & haulertau in my dark ale. They both have a floral/spice thing. But the KG also has that "lemon grass" aroma/flavor as well. It's a little young now,but from the 1st FG sample I took,it tastes promising. I also have an APA we've drunk a few of,& used US Perle & Czech Saaz in. Great smooth,spicy flavors on the back.
Just a couple of ideas from my experiences...

I used 1 oz of Hallertauer to dry hop my Pilsner. Was trying to cover up leftovers of diacetyl. Dry hopped in keg and after 2 days pulled out since it was starting to get in your nose, but later dissapated completelly.

Back