Hallertau Blanc/hoppy lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
I made a vienna lager-ish beer with a big dose of Hallertau Blanc at the end of the boil. The hops smelled good in the package - kinda a mix of herbal with a little faint tropical - but when I added to the boil it seriously smelled like old trash. Like a bunch of veggie rinds in a compost pile.

I was going to dry hop with the Hallertau Blanc but I think I'll pick another hop. So:

1) has anybody had experiences with HB that you'd like to share?
2) any recommendations for a good dry hop for a lager? Not trying to make it IPA-like, just a tasty complement to the lager character

My large regional brewery makes a lager with Hallertau Blanc. It's interesting but a bit weird tasting. Very clean pilsner and then the white wine / gooseberry hits you. They make it quite subtle.

For a recommendation. Something like Saaz / EKG or Mt Hood / Styrians would all be good. Saaz & EKG is very floral, like perfume. Good old Cascade would be good as well.

Back