Hallelujah!! The day has finally come, goodbye bottles!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonGavlar

Reaction score
I've just ordered a 3 tap kegging system with keggerator and 3 new kegs. Over the moon!

With a bit of luck my Irsh red that's been in the ferm chamber a few weeks will be the first to christen the kegs. Extremely excited, it's like being a kid at christmas again.

Cheers :tank:

I made the transition to kegs last year. For whatever reasons, I feel like my beer quality improved with the force carbonation. Can’t believe I waited ten years to make the jump

I brewed in the 90's. Quit because I hated bottling. In the mid 2000's, I got a kegerator, but just filled it with craft beer. By about 2014, I wanted to get back into homebrewing, but couldn't find any friends interested and, remembering how it was back in the 90's, I didn't want to brew by myself. Finally, last year I just did it and kegging made all the difference.

Welcome to the next level of homebrewing.....

I brewed in the 90's. Quit because I hated bottling. In the mid 2000's, I got a kegerator, but just filled it with craft beer. By about 2014, I wanted to get back into homebrewing, but couldn't find any friends interested and, remembering how it was back in the 90's, I didn't want to brew by myself. Finally, last year I just did it and kegging made all the difference.

Congrats! I have kegs, and I think the only thing that I'll bottle from now on are long fermenting belgians.

These 3 pics show my progression. I resisted kegging for a long time. Now I don't know if I'll ever bottle again.

Attachments

• bottling 2.jpg
    bottling 2.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 203
  • keg.jpg
    keg.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 191
  • keezer3.jpg
    keezer3.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 195
Yeah can’t wait to pull that first pint.

Just a quick one, whilst I have some keggers here.
Whats the deal with kegging and cold crashing. Im super anal about clear beer, I love my beer to be super clear. so I’ve been cold crashing, adding gelatin and then bottling.
I was planning on now just going straight to the the keg, adding gelatin once cold and then leave it to carb up for a couple weeks.
However, Im reading such a mixed debate. Some say some brews you end up with way too many cloudy pints before it clears, some saying it doesn’t clear as well then some saying it works fine and only the first couple oz’s are yeasty.

So what do you guys do? I wanted to cut out cold crashing in the primary as I hate the fact that so much air is getting sucked into my beer and then sitting there for a few days. But if thats the way to super clear beer then so be it.

I've never cold crashed, never used gelatin. Only thing I do is use Whirlfloc at the end of the boil. My brews pour quite clear.

I've just ordered a 3 tap kegging system with keggerator and 3 new kegs. Over the moon!

With a bit of luck my Irsh red that's been in the ferm chamber a few weeks will be the first to christen the kegs. Extremely excited, it's like being a kid at christmas again.

Congrats man! Kegging is awesome, and so much faster! I like to do a little of both, 3 gals in a keg an 2 in bottles, but sometimes just keg the whole 5 gals. I envy you on your purchase. I only have a single tower used old brewmiester, but stole it at $110. Once again...congrats and best of luck!:tank::tank:

Congrats man! Kegging is awesome, and so much faster! I like to do a little of both, 3 gals in a keg an 2 in bottles, but sometimes just keg the whole 5 gals. I envy you on your purchase. I only have a single tower used old brewmiester, but stole it at $110. Once again...congrats and best of luck!:tank::tank:
Thanks bud :mug:

I ferment in kegs, I cold crash with gelatin. I add a little gas before I do so there is no air intake when the temp drops. then I do a closed transfer of clear beer into the serving keg.

Congrats on getting back into brewing! I'm just the opposite, I use it as an escape and love doing it by myself. I just tap some homebrew and turn on the music!

Congrats! I have kegs, and I think the only thing that I'll bottle from now on are long fermenting belgians.

Travis,
Can you give me your input. I just cracked open a Belgium Christmas wit. (Brewed after Xmas lol) and it came out over carbed in the bottles. I did 3 gals in a keg that I haven't tapped yet and 2 gals in bottles. I followed priming sugar amount off brewers friend. The keg I'm not worried about as I'll be force carbing it. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Yeah can’t wait to pull that first pint.

Just a quick one, whilst I have some keggers here.
Whats the deal with kegging and cold crashing. Im super anal about clear beer, I love my beer to be super clear. so I’ve been cold crashing, adding gelatin and then bottling.
I was planning on now just going straight to the the keg, adding gelatin once cold and then leave it to carb up for a couple weeks.
However, Im reading such a mixed debate. Some say some brews you end up with way too many cloudy pints before it clears, some saying it doesn’t clear as well then some saying it works fine and only the first couple oz’s are yeasty.

So what do you guys do? I wanted to cut out cold crashing in the primary as I hate the fact that so much air is getting sucked into my beer and then sitting there for a few days. But if thats the way to super clear beer then so be it.

I'm not that experienced and don't have a clue, but see other posters on your thread do! I just do BIAB so I guess I'll follow along and learn something!

Congrats... I just tapped my first beer around x-mas and never going back to bottles. Make sure you post some pic's of the rig when you are all set up!

Congrats on getting back into brewing! I'm just the opposite, I use it as an escape and love doing it by myself. I just tap some homebrew and turn on the music!

Actually, since getting back into it, I also prefer brewing on my own. I just didn't know how much better it was when kegging. Star San also greatly improved the experience. It was just the drudgery of bottling that wore me down.

:cask:
Actually, since getting back into it, I also prefer brewing on my own. I just didn't know how much better it was when kegging. Star San also greatly improved the experience. It was just the drudgery of bottling that wore me down.

I know the feeling my friend!

Congrats. I'd quit brewing if I had to go back to bottles.

Can you link the system you ordered? I'm looking to get a 3 tap system myself sometime in the next year. And congratulations![emoji106]

Just incase anyones interested...

The new set up is up and running and couple brews carbing up.

Cheers :mug:

9WaCxWg.jpg

UCxMdr9.jpg

I went back to bottling its alot easier...SIKE!

Thats a sick set up:rock: Cheers bro enjoy

I only bottle now if I made a little extra and it won't fit in the keg. Or if I need a 6 pack to take to friends. Otherwise kegging has been a work saver. Takes 10minutes to clean a keg versus all the bottle washing, sanitizing, filling capping... a filling session for an 11 gallon batch could take 2+ hours versus 20-30 minutes to fill 2 kegs and rinse the fermenters out.

Don, where did you purchase this? i'm looking to exactly the same setup..i have 2 perlick faucets and a stout faucet and I want to turn my existing kegerator into a ferm chamber and get the set up you have for serving

Don, where did you purchase this? i'm looking to exactly the same setup..i have 2 perlick faucets and a stout faucet and I want to turn my existing kegerator into a ferm chamber and get the set up you have for serving

I bought the kegerator here:
https://www.brewuk.co.uk/kegerator.html

Im from the UK though. If you’re in the US I think the same product is available over there, the company that make it is the same company that make the grain father.. Mangrove Jacks.

I bought 3 of the new style corny kegs to go in it as the old style ones will only fit two. The old style ones are a bit shorter and fatter than the new style corny kegs.

Here is the keg fittings:
  • 3 cornies H64cm x W21.5cm sized (new 19 litre cornie kegs)
  • 1 cornie H56.5cm x W22.5cm plus 2 cornies H64cm x W21.5cm sized (19 litre kegs)
  • 2 cornies H56.5cm x W22.5cm sized
  • 2 cornies H56.5cm x W22.5cm (19Litre) plus an 11.4 litre cornie keg fits onto the shelf at the back.

I bought the kegerator here:
https://www.brewuk.co.uk/kegerator.html

Im from the UK though. If you’re in the US I think the same product is available over there, the company that make it is the same company that make the grain father.. Mangrove Jacks.

I bought 3 of the new style corny kegs to go in it as the old style ones will only fit two. The old style ones are a bit shorter and fatter than the new style corny kegs.

Here is the keg fittings:
  • 3 cornies H64cm x W21.5cm sized (new 19 litre cornie kegs)
  • 1 cornie H56.5cm x W22.5cm plus 2 cornies H64cm x W21.5cm sized (19 litre kegs)
  • 2 cornies H56.5cm x W22.5cm sized
  • 2 cornies H56.5cm x W22.5cm (19Litre) plus an 11.4 litre cornie keg fits onto the shelf at the back.
i know here in the US we go by cu ft for sizing fridges, do you know how many cu ft your fridge is?..i might just but a fridge and modify it

i know here in the US we go by cu ft for sizing fridges, do you know how many cu ft your fridge is?..i might just but a fridge and modify it

The internal dimensions of the kegerator are 49cm wide x 39cm.

The height of the actual fridge is 87.5cm, width is 61.6cm and the depth is 60.5cm and is a 163 litre capacity.

Sorry I dont actually now the cubic ft but hope them numbers can help.

Heres the product on the official site:
https://www.grainfather.com/3-tap-kegerator.html?___store=uk

Yeah tbh it would have been cheaper to make my own for sure but im lazy. Plus I couldnt find a fridge that size that would fit 3 kegs as they always had a large shelf at the back. This one was exactly what I wanted so just got it. Im sure using a chest freezer or something you could make a similar set up for a fraction of the price. I just couldnt be bothered to work out the size I’d need, set up temp control, drill holes for gas line and taps, source all the gas and beer lines, fittings and connections, regulator etc. This was litterally an all in one plug and play, all i had to buy seperate was a co2 tank.

I’m one of the few who didn’t mind bottling, and I make 10 gal batches. It was sorta satisfying bottling 100 bottles. But I digress. I built my own keezer and started kegging 2 years ago. Wow so much easier. I’ve never looked back and neither will you.

Back