Hair of the Dog - Fred of the Wood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debtman7

Reaction score
Anyone tried this beer out? I don't think it's widely distributed, I only had one since I was in portland for a few weeks and saw it on the menu at $12 a bottle. You figure that at $12 a bottle, it's just something you have to try...

Unfortunately I only managed to drink maybe $5 worth... This is another beer on the list of beers that are highly regarded that I just can't stand... The big problem I had with this one is that it tasted, to my untrained mouth, exactly like bourbon. I mean, if you'd put this in a glass next to a glass of bourbon, the only way I'd be able to tell the difference is by the amount of burn I think. I guess this makes sense, as this beer is a lightly hopped high alcohol fermented barley beverage aged in oak barrels, and bourbon is a non-hopped high alcohol distilled barley beverage aged in oak barrels. But when I get a beer that is supposed to have bourbon and oak characteristics, I still expect it to pretty much taste like a beer...

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I got sick a few times in college doing shots of whiskey and now the stuff makes me feel sick... But if you like bourbon, this is probably an awesome beer to try out. You can then tell me how wrong I am :)

On the plus side, I was amazed that everywhere in portland seems to sell micro brews. We got a pitcher of mirror pond at a bowling alley, whereas back here in ohio the best you can do at a bowling alley is amber bock and most bars don't get any better than sam adams... We also visited the rogue public house which was fantastic. The kobe beef blue cheese meatballs were great and I found a new favorite rogue beer with the Morimoto Imperial Pilsner. It was hard not to just buy a bomber of everything on the way out. Luckily they sell 4 beer samplers for $5 so you can try all the beers without spending a ton of money.

We found out later rogue has an ale house in Astoria, on the coast. If you're out that way, I recommend hitting it up. You can scope out the goonies house and then have some beer and lunch before heading down to cannon beach where the old restaurant scenes were filmed :)

"Well this was my wish and it didn't come true, so I'm taking it back. I'm taking them all back."

I picked up a case of Fred from the Wood when I was in Portland in November for the brewery's annual dock sale. I love this beer! It is aged 6 months in new American oak barrels and the oak definitely dominates when this beer is young. If you lay it down for a year or more it takes on some wonderful vanilla notes. I sent one each to Lorenae and to Wagner in a beer exchange but not sure if they've had a chance to try it. Perhaps they'll chime in with their comments? Although, I haven't seen Wagner on here in about a month.

Most of Alan's beers take aging, lots of it. He makes huge beers, most of them could be called barleywines and are more at home in a shot glass than a stein. Fred (the beer) is one of the few beers in the US that has a vintage guide.

Brewsmith said:
"Well this was my wish and it didn't come true, so I'm taking it back. I'm taking them all back."

I was mad that the wishing well was just a sound stage... And the restaraunt was taken down after the film too...

On the plus side, we went by the school where kindergarten cop was filmed.

It's not a tumor.

david_42 said:
Most of Alan's beers take aging, lots of it. He makes huge beers, most of them could be called barleywines and are more at home in a shot glass than a stein. Fred (the beer) is one of the few beers in the US that has a vintage guide.

I could have done a shot of it, would have been much better suited. 12 ounces of that beer is just too much, I hated to throw away half of it, but I couldn't get it down.

I like barleywines, but I'm not a fan of beers that have a strong alcohol taste. I like a nice balanced barleywine, or an extremely hoppy barleywine, but beers that taste like sherry/cognac/whiskey/etc don't do it for me. It would probably mellow nicely after a while, but I'll never know.

I've had six year old Fred. Very nice. Alan holds an occasional Oregon Brew Crew meeting at the brewery, so I've been able to sample his ales 2 oz. at a time.

The airport is about the only place in the metroburb that you really have to search to find a craft brew. Last time I fly out, I had to try three bars in the port before I found some Mirror Pond.

I've got a Magnum of 5 year old Doggie Claws and a buddy of mine still has one 12oz. bottle of Batch #1 Adam. That's got to be at least 12 years old I believe.

Most of Alan's beers take aging, lots of it. He makes huge beers, most of them could be called barleywines and are more at home in a shot glass than a stein.
I totally agree. I've been ruined after a couple of those Friday night parties at the brewery during OBF. A couple years ago Alan poured us some of the "Dave" from the Bourbon barrel in the cooler to finish off the evening. Tripple iced and 29% abv. Needless to say, I did not return to the festival that night!

Damn, there is already a Hair of the Dog brewery....thats what I was planning on calling my home brews, as it seems that my dog's hair ends up in every batch...that crap is everywhere!

Back