Hair of the Dog Fred clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuckerlux

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for some help on an extract clone recipe for Fred, Hair of the Dog's Rye Barleywine. I've been out of Portland for almost three years and haven't had it since. Anybody have any ideas?

This is what it says on their website, "Fred the beer is a deep golden color. It is made with aromatic and rye malts and includes 10 different hop varieties in an effort to incorporate the whole world into this beer. It has 10% alcohol by volume and 65 IBUs."

I'm not that interested in the 10 different hop varieties, I just want something comparable.

Here's what I've come up with so far, let me know what you think
12 lbs pale LME
3 lbs rye malt
1/2 lb Crystal 60L

2 oz galena pellets - 60 min
1 oz cascade - 30 min
1 oz cascade - 5 min

how long should this bottle condition?

Sorry for the long post, thanks for any help.
tjl

You should add 1/2 lb of aromatic malt.

Time? Well, I've had 1 year-old, 4 year-old and 7 year-old Fred, it just keeps getting better. I won't put Old Bog Water up against it, but OBW gets better every year, too.

thanks for the tip! Has anybody ever had to add fresh yeast at bottling time due to longer fermentation periods or should there be enough yeast still active to carbonate the higher og beer?

Latest posts

Back