Hail Chinese Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicolas11

Reaction score
Hi guys, i'm a total newbie here so don't be rude :) I bought this :http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141702228773 and everything is in Chinese, i have no idea why there are 3 different hydrometers . does anyone have experience or knows how these work? Cheers!:mug:

$_57.JPG

These are three ranges which each hydrometer is calibrated too. This means you can identify a more accurate reading of your gravity (final or starting). I use a ~1.060-1.010 in the beginning and the ~0.998-1.030 at the end as opposed to a single hydrometer with tiny markings from 0.998-1.010

It's regarded as a lab/professional brewer's kit.

I'm assuming the part that tells you what temperature there calibrated to is in Chinese too. Usually either 60F or 68F. I'd test it with another hydrometer to see.

Try the Google translate app, just point your phone camera at the Chinese words and magic :). YMMV

The top character 酒 (jiu) means alcohol. 计 (ji) means to calculate. That's about all I can read :ban:

These are three ranges which each hydrometer is calibrated too. This means you can identify a more accurate reading of your gravity (final or starting). I use a ~1.060-1.010 in the beginning and the ~0.998-1.030 at the end as opposed to a single hydrometer with tiny markings from 0.998-1.010

It's regarded as a lab/professional brewer's kit.
So i start with the biggest one and finish with the smaller one? Get 3 readings aan then?

Back