Haier Kegerator not cycling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvcjbl

Reaction score
All night tonight I have been hearing a loud "CLICK" noise and just ignored it. Finally I glanced over at the thermometer in my kegerator and noticed that it was 10'f higher than normal. While staring in disbelief I realized that loud "CLICK" was coming from my kegerator. Upon further inspection I realized that he compressor was not cycling (warm/hot to touch) and the coils were cold/room temp. The clicking was coming from the relay that physically attaches to the compressor. Does anyone have ideas as to what is going on? I am lost and have zero knowledge with troubleshooting refrigerators. I am panicking as I have 10 gallons of beer in there getting warm by the second.

Don't know much about regridgerators, but I know too much about Haier. Had one 6 montha ago and it broke. Looking online it seems like Haier brand is not even worth fixing. Live and learn.

It is still insulated though, so maybe go to the gas station/grocery store and buy ice, lots of ice?

Don't know much about regridgerators, but I know too much about Haier. Had one 6 montha ago and it broke. Looking online it seems like Haier brand is not even worth fixing. Live and learn.

It is still insulated though, so maybe go to the gas station/grocery store and buy ice, lots of ice?

I posted this on another forum that is just about kegs and kegerators and home equipment. I figured I just bump this thread with the info incase someone else ran into this problem. Funny thing is after searching for the part number on here, it looks like someone else had this exact same problem.

Upon further research I found that the starter relay is a PTC style and has low resistance at room temperature. I OHMed mine out and realized that I had ~ (infinity). I disassembled the relay and noticed everything was burnt inside of it. Scraped everything clean and put it back to together and as soon as I plugged her in she fired right up!! I am going to order a new PTC Starter relay tonight as well as a new OLP (over load protector) as the contacts were burnt as well. Even the spade terminals have some charing to them. Good news is my beer is getting cold again. I just hope it functions until my parts arrive.

My danby clunked out on me, I think it was the relay but not 100% sure. I had a johnson temp controller layn around so I hardwired that to control the compressor. zero problems since. Only down side is the temp controller doesn't have an autodefrost so there is possibility for ice build up, hasn't been a problem yet and that was about a year ago. good luck!

My danby clunked out on me, I think it was the relay but not 100% sure. I had a johnson temp controller layn around so I hardwired that to control the compressor. zero problems since. Only down side is the temp controller doesn't have an autodefrost so there is possibility for ice build up, hasn't been a problem yet and that was about a year ago. good luck!

I still am wanting a external temperature controller, but this sucker is so dialed in I get perfect pours all the time. I am just going to leave well enough alone.

I posted this on another forum that is just about kegs and kegerators and home equipment. I figured I just bump this thread with the info incase someone else ran into this problem. Funny thing is after searching for the part number on here, it looks like someone else had this exact same problem.

Upon further research I found that the starter relay is a PTC style and has low resistance at room temperature. I OHMed mine out and realized that I had ~ (infinity). I disassembled the relay and noticed everything was burnt inside of it. Scraped everything clean and put it back to together and as soon as I plugged her in she fired right up!! I am going to order a new PTC Starter relay tonight as well as a new OLP (over load protector) as the contacts were burnt as well. Even the spade terminals have some charing to them. Good news is my beer is getting cold again. I just hope it functions until my parts arrive.

Hey there. I wanted to bring up this old thread because I think I am having the same problem. I was out of town for a few days and my wife called to tell me that the kegerator was warming up and that it was making a clicking noise. I checked it out last night and the clicking seems to be coming from the starter (if that is what is directly attached to the compressor). I'm going to open it up tonight and see if I can see any burnt components and hope that I can fix it up. I was just wondering where you were able to find a new starter. Any other tips are welcome. I got this used but have only had it 4 months so I hope I can do a cheap fix.

Yes, you can buy a new starter and overload my bet is the overload went and now the compressor can't start. Most A/C supply house sell them for about 8 bucks.......my.02

Just an update. After much searching around for the correct starter and overload...no luck. I finally talked to a guy that suggested I get a 3 n' 1 start which is suposidly what most newer compressors have now. It's one piece that contains the starter and overload. I just made sure that it was rated for the correct voltage and horsepower. After clipping off some of the old connecters, I wired it up and bingo! A $24 fix sure beat buying a new kegerator.

BryceL said:
Just an update. After much searching around for the correct starter and overload...no luck. I finally talked to a guy that suggested I get a 3 n' 1 start which is suposidly what most newer compressors have now. It's one piece that contains the starter and overload. I just made sure that it was rated for the correct voltage and horsepower. After clipping off some of the old connecters, I wired it up and bingo! A $24 fix sure beat buying a new kegerator.

What was the make and model of the kegerator? It cost me like $8 in parts. I'm very happy you get it fixed, but from all my research 3-n-1 kits just prolong the problem where the components fix the issue. *cheers*

I bought it used and have no idea on the brand of the kegerator, it doesn't have any markings besides a tag on the front that says "tapmaster". The compressor is a Tecumseh. It's an older model and I was having a hell of a time finding parts. Just curious, any idea why the 3-1 would only be a temporary fix? I'm not the best with electronics.

It's not a temporary fix the 3 in one is a STARTER,THEMO OVERLOAD RELAY ALL IN ONE. Original "older" models have a starter and overload separate in 2 components. I have 4 overloads picked up for 12 dollars they work in 90% of fridges and freezers. 3 n 1's are just more expensive cuz they use a solid state relay..............my .02

Back