Had to throw bucket out...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVD_X

Reaction score
Just for the record... plastic buckets can go bad - but not from scratches. Not sure what happened but the bucket I use to soak my empties in developed a hairline fracture on the bottom inside edge of the bucket. It follows all the way around where the bottom connects to the edge of the bucket. It won't hold water anymore.

I suppose it might be my hot water (150 F) or a combination of the hot water and the various chemicals I use (starsan, oxyclean, and some blc).

Just complaining... it was this one (from my local homebrew shop not NB):

http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/wine-pail.jpg

I wonder how long it would have lasted if it wasn't the Deluxe Model?:cross:

That bucket is HDPE. I haven't had one like that fail me due to chemicals or hot water, and I've used the same kind of chemicals you mention, plus PBW. I doubt I've subjected that kind of bucket to temps above 150°F. I don't know what the temperature limit is for HDPE buckets. Perhaps you exceeded it.

I did have a polycarbonate bucket like this one fail catastrophically. It just busted open at the bottom when I picked it up off the floor after sitting overnight with a solution of water and PBW in it. The water was hot when I first put it in, but nowhere near the limit of 210°F. Maybe 150°F. It must have been the PBW that did it.

I've had the same 2 buckets for 10 years, which were my primaries when I first started, now are my cleaning buckets. With the correct mixture of pbw to water OR starsan to water, you shouldn't have any issues. Although I don't typically soak anything overnight as it's not needed. Just a couple hours at the most and stuff should be clean or need a gentle brushing with a sponge or bottle brush.

I could see how chemies would damage the food grade plastic buckets for homebrew if they were used improperly. Or if you used chemicals that weren't supposed to be mixed in plastic. There's also the storage of the plastic and it's ability to withstand certain temperatures (ie. left outside in the heat of the summer or through cold winters). Maybe certain types of plastic can be eaten away by PBW. I know teflon can get completely screwed by PBW if you use it.

I work in a lab at a local jr college

I have a readly available source of primary buckets

do I use them?

NO

that is because they contained stuff to dissect

and man you can NEVER get that smell out

:rockin:

The bucket is just about 6 months old. I usually soak for a week because I travel during the week. My hot water is 150...

Back