had to taste my beer after a week in bottles!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RippinLt

Reaction score
Come on can ya blame me. It was my first batch. American Micro Style from brewers best. It was carbed and had a nice head when I poured. I tasted it before I bottled and can DEFINITELY taste a difference after a week of conditioning and carbing. But thats obviously going to happen. Im just so pumped that its actually beer and carbed beer at that! Give it too long in the bottle and it might turn to gold!

It was a brewers best extract kit with specialty grains.
Flavor was called " American Micro Style" 3 weeks in primary, no secondary.

thanks jim! Quick question. Does pale ale refer to its color? this batch is very far from pale...

pale ales are indeed pale, but the style is very open to interpretation. there are a lot of 'pale ales' that aren't exactly pale. i think this is an 'american pale ale' recipe, so that is open to even more interpretation. but if you used extract, it probably contributed to your beer being darker that you expected.

thanks jim! Quick question. Does pale ale refer to its color? this batch is very far from pale...

The short answer is yes, it does refer (in part) to the color.

However, if you're used to mainstream beers like bud, bud lite, and similar, it will be quite a bit darker than that. Historically the name refers to the fact that it is paler than stouts and porters. The BJCP guidelines say that an American Pale Ale has an SRM (measure of color) range of 5-14. If you click on the below link, you may find that this range includes color that you would not consider "pale". In fact, if you follow the second link above, you'll notice that there is some overlap in color between amber and pale ales (there are other differences between them besides color however).
http://kotmf.com/articles/srmcolor.jpg

One last thing worth knowing is that if you are concerned with color, you can look into doing late extract addition if you didn't already. Adding some of your extract in the last few minutes of the boil can help keep your beers lighter.

But most importantly: congrats and RIP to all your other hobbies.

Congratulations on your first brew! Pales are a great way to start. I am onn batch 36, and I am no where near brewing my perfect pale yet. There might not be a perfect pale. Anyway, I still open a bottle after a week. I just can't help it. :)

Back