Had first blow off....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Guys/Gals. I've learned a valuable lesson since using my new Maelstrom stir plate for a starter and the oxygenation wand. Strong yeast + oxygen = blowoff! I made a 1.062 OG NEIPA and had my first blowoff overnight where it blew the airlock and stopper off of the carboy, so carboy was open for about 6 hours. When I saw it in the morning, I replaced it with a clean stopper and airlock but instead of setting the airlock up as normal, I used a tube and set up a make shift blow off setup (3 pc airlock base with tube over the middle running into starsan bucket). In the afternoon, it once again blew this off and the carboy was open for maybe another 2-3 hours.

I feel like the beer should still be ok but what do you think? Am I in trouble with this one?

You're fine. I've lost over 1/2 gallon of beer due to blowoff before, beer came out great.

Did you cut the tapered end off the air lock stem. Cutting the taper will allow a better flow and less pressure build up in the fermentor.

Did you cut the tapered end off the air lock stem. Cutting the taper will allow a better flow and less pressure build up in the fermentor.

Not on the second one that shot out. The one that I have in there now doesn't have that tapered end and has a pretty big opening on the bottom. I think I'm ok now, though. Fermentation has settled down quite a bit. Now just a steady bubbling into the starsan bucket.

Latest posts

Back