Had a stalled 5 gallon batch. Not sure what to do now.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vitaminb

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm definitely new to homebrewing, so please be kind :)
So, I had done several all grain batches and I do pretty well with this, but someone gave me a 5 gallon kit using extract and I ran into a few issues. The cooking, etc. went well and my OG (1.054) was on target so I was happy with that, however 2 weeks later, my gravity was still around 1.020. Unfortunately, I had already added the corn sugar prior to checking to the gravity. So, I got some advice to put it back in the bucket and wait two weeks for the fermenting to finish and maybe stirring up the yeast would bring the gravity back down.
So the gravity still wasn't moving, and I was advised to pitch some more yeast, so I did and the gravity is finally going down.
So, here's my questions...
Did I get good advice?
One the gravity goes down again, do I add another batch of corn sugar and bottle it? Will that make it too sweet? I have DME if that would be better...
Sorry to look like such an idiot here...my all grain batches sometimes turn out well I promise! :smack:

Typically just warming up the beer and giving it a gentle swirl will be enough to rouse the yeast. By continuing to add more sugar it will just dry out the beer. Since the sugar is purely fermentable, it shouldn't add any sweetness. Not saying it was bad advice, but there are always concerns of sanitation and oxygenating when you transfer that much. What was your final OG supposed to be. I have a 1.052 right now that's supposed to get to 1.016, and I would have been ok with 1.02.

You will need to add more sugar to get the carbonation process to occur. Doesn't matter what kind you use, just make sure it's the proper proportion.

EDIT: The extra sugar shouldn't add sweetness, but the couple of gravity points high will. Again, unless you are trying to get to 1.010 or something, I don't think it'll be THAT noticeable.

When my first extract batch stopped at 1.020 I tried the normally-recommended stuff...warm it up a little, swirl the bucket a little, etc. but it was to no avail. I just bottled it at 1.020 and drank the results. A little low on ABV and slightly sweeter, but completely drinkable and enjoyable.

So I guess from this point, once the batch is done fermenting I should just put another batch of corn sugar in and bottle right? The only thing I'm worried about now is that I already put some corn sugar in before. If I put another batch of it in now, is there a chance of over carbonation if the first batch of corn sugar hasn't fully run its course and the beer isn't flat again?

So I guess from this point, once the batch is done fermenting I should just put another batch of corn sugar in and bottle right? The only thing I'm worried about now is that I already put some corn sugar in before. If I put another batch of it in now, is there a chance of over carbonation if the first batch of corn sugar hasn't fully run its course and the beer isn't flat again?

Yes, the corn sugar you already added will have fermented out. Adding more, in the proper amount, would be the correct thing to do.

The yeast will eat up the sugar you already added. Make sure you have a stable gravity, 2 readings over 3 days, and you'll be fine.

To be precise should be checking the FG to ensure it's not still dropping. Once the FG is stable you can add the appropriate amount of priming sugar and bottle.

Yes, if it's bottomed out--that is, if the gravity is no longer decreasing, put in the same amount of corn sugar as you would have used to start, it won't over carb.

Also, I'm not surprised that your gravity was a little high if you checked it AFTER adding priming sugar--priming sugar will increase the gravity slightly, since it's adding (a small amount) of new fermentables to the beer. It could easily have added 2 to 3 points to your FG.

Back