Had a random thought last night.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quincy07

Reaction score
So I was laying in bed and had a random thought jump into my head that is somewhat beer related. I was thinking about a couple weeks earlier and how my wife gave me a hard time for letting my 6 year old taste some of my cooled post boil OG sample. She didn't want me to be giving him beer, which is totally understandable. I explained to her that there wasn't a drop of alcohol and it was basically sugar water at this point. Anyway, back on topic, I was thinking last night, what if you just got a couple gallons of water and some sugar (dextrose, table sugar, honey, whatever), put it in your FV and pitched some yeast. Now I don't plan on trying this but just curious of what the outcome. I've heard that the simple sugars are usually completely consumed and don't contribute to flavor so would you basically have alcoholic water w maybe some yeast flavor/esters?

That is basically a wash that would be used for distilling. Sugar would make rum, corn or barley, rye, etc. would be whiskey.

Back