Had a DIPA get stuck at

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawgman

Reaction score
1.023. Was experimenting with 3787 wyeast to see if any of the characteristics of the yeast would make it through a STUPIDLY hopped DIPA. OG was 1.073. Missed my mash temp due to a thermometer issue. End of the mash was at 160 rather than the 152 I was hoping for.

Just added some amylase enzyme. Am I wasting my time? Should I bottle and just have my lesson learned or will the AE help drop the FG a few points?

almost sure it will restart the fermentation, shake your bucket/carboy a little, make sure its in the 66-75F range
Are you sure your ferm was done? in my case 3787 take really long time to finish ( i have triple fermenting for 31 days now and SG is still going down and co2 bubbles go up :)

I wouldn't have bothered with AE to chase a few more gravity points out of the beer. Your high mash temp is part of the reason you finished a bit short. For something like a IIPA the usual strategy is to add dextrose to help it dry out and lower the body. You should still be able to do that depending on what the AE accomplishes for you.

Yeah. Over a week the SG did not drop any more. It was a consistent 1.023 in three measurements.

It restarted last night. We'll see how it goes from here.

Thanks for the tip on the dextrose. Depending on how it goes from here I may try it.

It would be wise to wait for a couple weeks to see what the AE does before you bottle.

It would be wise to wait for a couple weeks to see what the AE does before you bottle.

I need to dry hop still. I am curious to see how much further attenuation I get. It was definitely active this morning. And yes I know airlock activity is not a sign of fermentation or lack thereof.

24 hours after adding Beta AE the brew is back at high krausen and chugging away. Pretty happy so far.

tonight and yeast and krausen was flowing out of the airlock....wow...unintended consequences.

Just curious if you tasted the sample when it was at 1.023? I recently brewed an IPA that finished at 1.020 and I thought that was going to be way too high, but it really created a perfect balance for the bitterness (I'm a little heavy handed with the hops). All I am saying is let your palate be your guide next time. I really hope you follow up with us on this beer as I am interested in IBU vs terminal gravity as well as initial gravity...

:mug:

IBU's were close to 200. Most were from the first wort hop and are really smooth bitterness. That being said the beer was too sweet for my taste. The bitterness lingered on the back end but were completely overwhelmed up front by the sweet malt flavor. I felt it would have been better dried out a little further. I had read that the AE would stop had limited "branching" and didn't think it would be this explosive. This second ferment has been much more aggressive than the first. I'll keep this thread updated.

Will do.

Hey you wouldn't happen to be in Central Missouri with a handle like "osagedr" would you ?

No, a little town in Canada called Osage.

Sounds like that AE is really working. I bought some once upon a time to use in a stuck lager but chickened out and never used it.

Krausen has dropped and so I took a hydro sample.

0.99. Wow... I was just hoping to get to 1.01 or so.

On the upside it did taste fantastic and the yeast profile is making its way through the hops. Can't wait to get this dry hopped and bottled to see what it is all about.

Latest posts

Back