Ha! I screwed up and did this.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mortal888

Reaction score
So last night I brewed an IPA in mini mash. The OG was lower than it was supposed to be, but not really sure about what to do about it, I stuck it in primary.

Today I realized that I put the liquid extract in, but forgot to put the dried malt extract! In haste, I boiled some water with the dried extract until it was really liquidy, cooled it to 75 degrees, and dumped it into the primary (airating it a little more).

Was this a good call or did I just make the problem worse? Anyone else made this stupid mistake?

I would have left it alone and saved the malt for starters or another batch. BUT fermentation is barely getting started so I don't see why you would have any problems. If anything you just got slightly better hop utilization from a lower gravity boil. RDWHAHB :mug:

i think it should be ok. if you wouldnt have. you would be drinking a 2% abv!!! lol!! you might as well drink water.

Hey I am new to home brewing and was curious if there is an easy kit that I can start with. I see mr beer and all that, but what do you suggest? Thanks for the help!

mr. beer is the way to go. then if you want to go to all grain you can still make 2 gallon batches that way. I mean for like 40 to 50 dollars and your ready to make beer. show me where you can get a 5 gallon setup for that??? plus everyone screws up there first batch so your only throwing out 2 gallon instead of 5. I enjoyed mr beer, but i do all grain. it took about a year.

So last night I brewed an IPA in mini mash. The OG was lower than it was supposed to be, but not really sure about what to do about it, I stuck it in primary.

Today I realized that I put the liquid extract in, but forgot to put the dried malt extract! In haste, I boiled some water with the dried extract until it was really liquidy, cooled it to 75 degrees, and dumped it into the primary (airating it a little more).

Was this a good call or did I just make the problem worse? Anyone else made this stupid mistake?

That's exactly what I would have done! good call.

Hey I am new to home brewing and was curious if there is an easy kit that I can start with. I see mr beer and all that, but what do you suggest? Thanks for the help!

I'm not a mr. beer fan at all, because the ingredient kit comes with prehopped extract and "booster" and makes an "ok" product but not very good. The refills are also overpriced for what you get.

I'd rather start with a beer kit like this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/beer-equipment-starter-kits/basic-starter-kit.html
and then an ingredient kit like this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/recipe-kits

It's more expensive in the beginning, but cheaper in the long run. And it makes 5 gallons of quality beer at a time.

My friend has a mr. beer and she loves it. I've had her beer, and I never knock anybody's beer when they give me one free, but it's honestly just "ok". It's not terrible or anything. But it's not "good". The extract kits I link to above (and I've done some of them) are "good" to "excellent".

You can also go with 1 gallon starter all-grain kits from a place like Brooklyn Brew Shop. Not sure if it's up your alley, but they set out the steps pretty well, and it's a great introduction to all-grain brewing on a scale very manageable to the begginer brewer.

Awesome, might not have killed it then. Since what I added in last night was a pretty thick goop. I'm going to open it up again today and give it a good stir.

Then I'll finally leave it alone and hope for the best.

Awesome, might not have killed it then. Since what I added in last night was a pretty thick goop. I'm going to open it up again today and give it a good stir.

Then I'll finally leave it alone and hope for the best.

I probably wouldn't stir it, just in case fermentation has started. Maybe give the fermenter a swirl or light shake if you're really worried. But the yeast know where to find the sugar, and just the act of fermentation will have the wort whorling around.

i agree with yooper i tried all mr.beer's beers it is expensive to buy there stuff. I only really liked one of there beers. it was the o'fest i added hops. if you want order just the fermanter. i think you can get for like ten bucks. then you can do 1 to 2.5 gallons. make a small mash tun. $25. then a boiling pot $30. then you can go from there. bottles I love the fliptops..

Back