H2O Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batfishdog37

Reaction score
Can someone just look at this and give me a little advise. I have two brewing water sources I could use. One is city water and the other is well water from my family home in the country. I just want to know which one people think is the best. The city water is harder and prob better for darker beers and lacks calcium. I don't have all the necessary info on the well water yet but thought I would post anyway. Thanks a bunch!

City:

Alkalinity-150
Calcuim-35
Hardness-160
Chloride-11
Magnesium-16
pH-7.43
Sodium-5.7
Sulfate-9.3

Country Water:

Alkalinity-58
Calcium-16.5
Hardness-70
pH-6.4

Sorry don't have the other info yet.

Opinions?

Can someone just look at this and give me a little advise. I have two brewing water sources I could use. One is city water and the other is well water from my family home in the country. I just want to know which one people think is the best. The city water is harder and prob better for darker beers and lacks calcium. I don't have all the necessary info on the well water yet but thought I would post anyway. Thanks a bunch!

City:

Alkalinity-150
Calcuim-35
Hardness-160
Chloride-11
Magnesium-16
pH-7.43
Sodium-5.7
Sulfate-9.3

Country Water:

Alkalinity-58
Calcium-16.5
Hardness-70
pH-6.4

Sorry don't have the other info yet.

Opinions?

I am not an expert on Water Chemistry for brewing, so I would not feel comfortable giving you any advice, but I suggest you have a peek at Chapter 15 of John Palmer's "How to Brew".

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Understanding the Mash pH

I grew up on a small ranch and the well water was awesome. It also made some great beer.

Your beer is mostly water. Go with the one that tastes best.

Back