Gunpowder's Hop Cannon APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunpowder

Reaction score
So here's my first self-made recipe! It's a hoppy American Pale Ale loaded with all kinds of hoppy hops :) IBU's in the mid 60's, ABV around 5.5% so nothing over the top. Check it out and feel free to brew it yourself if you want!

Type: Extract Date: 1/4/2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.30 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Pot ( 3 Gal/11.4 L) - Extract
Final Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage

Taste Notes: An array of hops makes this a bitter, aromatic pale ale that is hearty, but with great body and drinkability. You get a full blast of hops without a crucifying after taste. The true spirit of an American Pale Ale.
Est. IBU's: 64
Est. ABV: 5.5%

1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain
6 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Perle [8.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
1.0 pkg Safale American #US-05

The following directions below assume you have some experience in brewing beer. You MUST sanitize EVERYTHING that comes in contact with your beer that is below 170 degrees.

1. Bring water to 170 degrees.
2. Add milled grains in muslin grain bag to water. Steep for 30 minutes.
3. Remove grain bag and let it drip into wort until dripping stops. You may gently shake or squeeze the bag, but not too much, otherwise the bitter tannins will be released and spoil the flavor.
4. Discard spent grain & grain bag.
5. Bring wort to full boil (212 degrees).
6. Add dry malt extracts and 60 minute hops, set your timer for 45 minutes.
7. At 45 minutes, add 45 minute hops, reset the time for 15 minutes. (add wort chiller now to sanitize it)
8. Boil 1 cup of water and let cool off to 75-80 degrees. This will be used as a yeast starter.
9. At 60 minutes turn heat off, and chill wort.
10. When yeast starter water is below 80 degrees, add entire package of yeast. Gently agitate it so the water consumes the yeast. Let it stand for 20 minutes.
11. Transfer wort to primary carboy. Allow the wort to aerate by allowing it to splash on the side of the sanitized funnel. Proper aeration ensures healthy yeast.
12. Top off primary carboy with aerated water.
Gunpowder's Hop Cannon American Pale Ale Page 2 of 3
13. Take an original gravity reading BEFORE pitching yeast.
14. Pitch yeast, attach air lock.
-- Leave in primary for 9 days (add days if necessary due to slow starting fermentation) --
15. Pitch dry hops directly into primary, re-attach airlock.
-- Leave in primary for additional 5 days --
16. Boil 1 cup of water with corn sugar
17. Allow to cool to room temperature
18. Begin to transfer beer to bottling bucket or keg, being careful to not splash it around or cause too much aeration. Air is now the enemy. Take a sample and read with your hydrometer for a final gravity reading. This will allow you to calculate ABV.
19. When about 1 gallon has been transferred, SLOWLY and CAREFULLY add in the water with the corn sugar, being careful to not splash it around or aerate it.
20. Allow the remaining beer to fill up your bottling bucket or keg, being careful to not transfer too much trub from the primary carboy.
21. Use a bottling wand to bottle your beer (if using bottles).
22. Allow your keg or bottles to sit at room temperature for a minimum 7-10 days for carbonation. It is not necessary to condition this beer for longer than 14-21 days at most.
23. Chill for 48 hours before serving.
24. Enjoy!!
I recommend a single stage fermentation only. Leave in primary for two weeks, then bottle directly. Created with BeerSmith

that is a tremendous amount of bittering hops. if it were me, i would stick to the 1 ounce of chinook or perle @ 60 and use the amarillo toward the end of boil for flavor/aroma. also, a pound of C60 is a lot of crystal for a pale ale. it'll probably be closer to an amber. but it's your beer, so do as you please.

I was thinking about taking the Amarillo out of the boil and using them as a dry hop addition, but we'll see. I love my hops!! Yeah, it's an Amber/APA hybrid. But that sounds too technical, so I'm just calling it an APA, which it technically kinda is.

Back