Guitar Hero 9 year-old

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianP

Reaction score
For all of you GH3 players, you might find this interesting (if you haven't already seen it).

I'm almost through the 2nd level, and my eight year old just made it through 'easy'. It's fun watching him rock out to Metallica - I think I've created a monster. :rockin:

This kid here is amazing. I wonder how many hours he put into practicing

Enjoy. It's long, but you get the general idea quickly. He ends up getting 95%.

[YOUTUBE]KUzNcheoY6U[/YOUTUBE]

Heh... he's only playing with 5 strings....

Imagine what would happen if that kid spent as much time with a real guitar.... Of course, I'm sure his guitar hero prowess will serve him just as well in high school... Those Guitar Hero guys get all the chicks... ;)

BrianP said:
For all of you GH3 players, you might find this interesting (if you haven't already seen it).

I'm almost through the 2nd level, and my eight year old just made it through 'easy'. It's fun watching him rock out to Metallica - I think I've created a monster. :rockin:

This kid here is amazing. I wonder how many hours he put into practicing

Enjoy. It's long, but you get the general idea quickly. He ends up getting 95%.

[YOUTUBE]KUzNcheoY6U[/YOUTUBE]

Hey Brian, I think it's time to get over to guitar Center and pick him up a Fender or Gibson Starter kit...

Guitar, Amp, Cables Picks for a couple hundred bucks...

The key element missng in the old saw about 'if you jsut learned to play a real one' is that a musical instrument is NOT designed to give the user a cosntant, steady sense of accomplishment and mastery. It is hard work that only really pays off after months of practice and overcoming a great deal of difficulty along the way.

When we design video games a great deal of thought goes into the feedback process and making sure that the game is hard enough to be a challenge but giving enough to give the average player a sense of mastery throughout the game. That the level of difficutly is steadily climbing in most games is a key element in that.

The 'he should stop wasting his time and play a real guitar' comments are about as relevant as someone saying:

"You guys should stop brewing beer and buy some and use all that effort and time to enhance *insert activity that speaker thinks is more valuable/relevant/interesting*"

Soulive said:
I don't get it. Why not just play the real deal?

How about because it's fun? :D I play guitar, and I also play GH, and they are two completely different activities. Both fun, but not remotely the same thing.

:mug:

I'd say it can be great fun, but it is NOT a real guitar. Anyone who likens it to playing a real instrument isnt' thinking about the creativity that a real instrument can give. Yes, GH is a challenge, and is fun, but in the end, it's still another video game, like Wii. (I own and play MANY video games, so I'm not bashing them).

Playing a real instrument is as much work, and when you've practiced for hourse on end, you not only gain the dexterity to play the instrument, but you can now play a guitar and use that dexterity and creativity to make your OWN music. You are not relying on the video game system to supply the music, you are MAKING your own music.

Now, again, I'm not bashing the game. I think it's a great game and tons of fun, but when it comes right down to it, you are still only playing a video game, not actually playing an instrument. I'd like to see a video game that can use a GH controller, and actually make some music with it.

You are in the vast minority then. Most people can master the basics and complete a song in less than 10 minutes. With a guitar it takes that long to learn how to tune the instrument.

For the record: I work for Activision although I had nothing to do with guitar Hero and, honestly, consider Rock Band (like GH except there are drums and a mic too) by EA Games to be a superior product.

kornkob said:
Fixed that for you.

I meant my feelings remain, sorry. I still do not get it. You said it takes 10 minutes to tune a real guitar, but the video game only takes that long to learn a whole song. IMO, that's because you're learning much, much less with the video game than you are with the instrument. Video games are hugely inferior to musical instruments when it comes to their educational value. Obviously people play video games for entertainment and not always education, but IMO real instruments are both educational AND entertaining. So that's why I don't see the point to the video game...

theWAREHOUSE_comic_108.jpg

That said ... I loved the original Guitar Hero, and have to restrain myself every day from buying GH3. Stupid thesis.

Soulive said:
I meant my feelings remain, sorry. I still do not get it. You said it takes 10 minutes to tune a real guitar, but the video game only takes that long to learn a whole song. IMO, that's because you're learning much, much less with the video game than you are with the instrument. Video games are hugely inferior to musical instruments when it comes to their educational value. Obviously people play video games for entertainment and not always education, but IMO real instruments are both educational AND entertaining. So that's why I don't see the point to the video game...

I think a big draw of Guitar Hero, just like the Tony Hawk games, or fighting games, or really any games, is that you get to do something in the game that you either can't do (flying a plane, driving a Bugatti Veyron, whatever) or can't do well (playing guitar, karate, what have you) in real life. It's escapism. I can be a "rock star" in guitar hero in a few weeks, but will never be IRL. I'm not making a value judgement about this, but I do think that's a big part of it.

Soulive said:
You talking about a period of months to enjoy playing a single song on a guitar vs a period of months during which you can enjoy playing with your friends on a variety of songs.

yeah-- there's more 'education' in playing a real instrument (although I'd question that-- it's a skill, not really 'education') but there's also more education in learning to make your own movies, but no one is critizing people who watch movies by saying they should just make their own.

kornkob said:
You talking about a period of months to enjoy playing a single song on a guitar vs a period of months during which you can enjoy playing with your friends on a variety of songs.

yeah-- there's more 'education' in playing a real instrument (although I'd question that-- it's a skill, not really 'education') but there's also more education in learning to make your own movies, but no one is critizing people who watch movies by saying they should just make their own.

I can see e lo's point about escapism, but that's about it. Agree to disagree I guess...

I still wanna know where the 6th string is... :fro:

I throw this game in with reading fiction and watching sitcoms on TV. They're fine if you want to live in anonymity. It's amazing how little time it actually takes to do something genuinely interesting in real life... even compared to mastering, say GH. It actually takes less time to learn a skill you can use for the rest of your life.

That's what ruined video games for me. When NES came out with Arnold Palmer's golf, my friends and I played it for a few days and got pretty good. Soon, my friend's dad saw the game and wanted us to show him how to play. Within 10 minutes he was declaring the game stupid, ridiculous, completely unrealistic. The next weekend, he took us to the local golf course... and I was hooked for life. A hundred bucks, 5 mowed lawns, and I bought a set of decent used clubs that I still own and use... and I have something I can do for the rest of my life.

And the funny thing is, I've never gone back and wished I had played more Golf on NES.... Want to play a fighting game? Mow two lawns, pay the $40 a month, and take karate lessons. Really, it's that simple...

Sorry, I am sure there are a lot of gamers on this board. I'm just saying that I've never played a game that gave me the same feeling that the reality gave me in the same time frame. My Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, where you putter around a parking lot for 2 days at 5mph on tiny bikes was still INFINITELY more fun than doing 220mph down the straightaway on Grand Tourismo. And cost about the same amount too...

I guess that's the difference. I find golf boring. Incredibly so.

But I don't suggest that golfers are banishing themselves to a life of being boring or are somehow a lesser person because they enjoy it.

To each his own.

kornkob said:
I guess that's the difference. I find golf boring. Incredibly so.

I agree completely. That's why I never bought fancy clubs or spent another penny on the "sport" beyond my first set of clubs. But if you really got nothing better to do, paying $20 to get out on the muni course is still better than watching reruns....

Bulls Beers said:
Hey Brian, I think it's time to get over to guitar Center and pick him up a Fender or Gibson Starter kit... Guitar, Amp, Cables Picks for a couple hundred bucks...

I already did that. I'm taking lessons myself, but I'm still pretty bad. I bought the guitar more for my son. My hope is that he will take his enthusiasm in GH3 and transfer that into real guitar playing.

I'm kind of surprised this thread generated so much feedback. Guitar Hero is a fun game, something family and friends can play together and have a good time. It's great for snowy Michigan winters when there is nothing better to do outside.

I was mostly amazed that this young kid could play the game at a level that 99.999% of adults can't achieve.

Back