Guinness temp and psi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie02173

Reaction score
I am currently brewing guinness and have a lot of friends with guinness kegerators in which is basically a fridge with a custom keg of guinness( not homebrew!). A lot are complaining about bad pints and too much head on the pint. Im wondering is there a perfect serving strategy for guinness? Im told to serve at 30 to 35 psi, but does this depend on the temperature of the keg ( does the psi have to be adjusted for changing temp levels) and maybe the beer line has to be a specific measurment?

It should be the other way around for the percentages for it to work, the nitrogen needs to be the high number. Is that what you meant?
I could be wrong myself with the ratios but they definatly have the recommended gas.. what can you suggest yourself and cheers for the reply

Guinness specifies 38 psi of 75/25 nitrogen/CO2 at 42 °F. I assume they (your friends) have the proper stout faucets (taps)? Liquid line length isn't as critical for dispensing nitrogenated stouts.

Last edited:
Other sources recommend 28-35 psi. I serve my stouts at about 28 psi and 38-39 °F and seem to get a decent looking pour.
Have you ever brewed guinness or a similar style? Im doing biab and im not sure what way to mash my grains before the boil. Does barley have to be soaked before adding with the malts to the bag for the mash?

I’ve tried many, many times. I’ve probably read every single article, recipe and technique for tips and procedures on how to brew it. Unfortunately I’ve never duplicated it and my most recent attempts have been total failures. All I can offer is, pick a published recipe and brew it and see how it turns out.
What do you mean by
“Does barley have to be soaked before adding with the malts to the bag for the mash?” If you’re asking about the roasted barley, there are many different thoughts on this topic.
I would try one of the recipes offered to you in this thread , and see if you think they are acceptable clones.
Sorry I couldn’t be more help.

I’ve tried many, many times. I’ve probably read every single article, recipe and technique for tips and procedures on how to brew it. Unfortunately I’ve never duplicated it and my most recent attempts have been total failures. All I can offer is, pick a published recipe and brew it and see how it turns out.
What do you mean by
“Does barley have to be soaked before adding with the malts to the bag for the mash?” If you’re asking about the roasted barley, there are many different thoughts on this topic.
I would try one of the recipes offered to you in this thread , and see if you think they are acceptable clones.
Sorry I couldn’t be more help.
Heres what i have ( 2 cans of guinness soured in container) maybe u would have a 23l recipe worth trying?!!

Attachments

• 20201212_155146.jpg
    20201212_155146.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
Like I said above, I really haven’t made an Irish Stout beer in a long time that I would be willing to share. Last one I made that was any good was an extract kit from an online store. I definitely haven’t made one that tastes like Guinness, and I’ve tried my ass off. Guinness is quite possibly my favorite beer, so I can tell when it’s not right. Some day when I have enough money saved up and this Covid BS is under control, I want to go to Ireland and drink myself silly in an old pub. Those ingredients are a great start. I’d still try that clone recipe in your other thread... hell, I might even give it a try next time I brew. What part of Ireland do you live in? You might get closer than any of us here in the US could ever dream of just because of your water.
Sláinte

Like I said above, I really haven’t made an Irish Stout beer in a long time that I would be willing to share. Last one I made that was any good was an extract kit from an online store. I definitely haven’t made one that tastes like Guinness, and I’ve tried my ass off. Guinness is quite possibly my favorite beer, so I can tell when it’s not right. Some day when I have enough money saved up and this Covid BS is under control, I want to go to Ireland and drink myself silly in an old pub. Those ingredients are a great start. I’d still try that clone recipe in your other thread... hell, I might even give it a try next time I brew. What part of Ireland do you live in? You might get closer than any of us here in the US could ever dream of just because of your water.
Sláinte
Ill live in dublin and drive by the guinness factory after work every day and there is always a truck or 2 full leaving the gates.. in just going to give the recipe a go and see how it turns out.. its almost done i think i heard someone say ferment at 18 celsius

Im told to serve at 30 to 35 psi, but does this depend on the temperature of the keg ( does the psi have to be adjusted for changing temp levels) and maybe the beer line has to be a specific measurment?

30-35 psi is correct: confirmed while visiting the Storehouse a few years ago.
Stout faucet with the 5 hole "nitrogen stripper" insert is essential
Temp doesn't matter, within reason. A Guinness keg at room temperature going into a chiller will pour a beautiful pint until the last drop is consumed. Many pubs in Ireland use or have used this setup for years without issue.

Back