guinness' iron content?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrangler

Reaction score
hey folks - been awhile since i posted. so, looks like i've gone and knocked up the swmbo again. doc told her she's low in iron and actually told her to drink a guinness from time to time.

my question is - what gives guinness its' high iron content?

if possible, i'm thinking of brewing up a high iron mommy-stout this weekend.

looking forward to the responses. cheers! :mug:

Wait a second...Your wife is pregnant and your doctor told her to drink Guinness to boost iron content? I believe the Guinness for iron thing is an urban legend. There are many foods out there with much higher iron content. Secondly, the doc is actually advising alcohol consumption for pregnancy? Modern doctors pretty much advise against any consumption while pregnant. FWIW, If I was you, I'd find a new doctor.

Wait a second...Your wife is pregnant and your doctor told her to drink Guinness to boost iron content? I believe the Guinness for iron thing is an urban legend. There are many foods out there with much higher iron content. Secondly, the doc is actually advising alcohol consumption for pregnancy? Modern doctors pretty much advise against any consumption while pregnant. FWIW, If I was you, I'd find a new doctor.

I dunno about the Iron bit but your statementy about modern doctors is not true.

Truley modern doctors will advise that the occasional alcoholic beverage will not harm you or the baby.

It is the modest doctors (terrified of malpractice suites) that will blankly state that alcohol while preggers is wrong, wrong, wrong.

For the record, good on you for having a doctor with some cahones for truth vs lawsuits.

exact on all points. a beverage from time to time in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters is harmless, which, as you say, a truly modern doctor will attest to.
far too much fear in our "modern" society.

I dunno about the Iron bit but your statementy about modern doctors is not true.

Truley modern doctors will advise that the occasional alcoholic beverage will not harm you or the baby.

It is the modest doctors (terrified of malpractice suites) that will blankly state that alcohol while preggers is wrong, wrong, wrong.

For the record, good on you for having a doctor with some cahones for truth vs lawsuits.

I guess I came off the wrong way. However, alcohol does cross the placenta so why risk it? I just got very worried when a doctor recommended Guinness for iron supplementation

However, alcohol does cross the placenta so why risk it?

Yes, Yes, Yes. But the "difference" is that this is a Guiness and not say a Utopia and that it's "a" beer occasionally and not binge drinking.

Many modern doctors will say that the "occasional" beer or glass of wine is okay until breast feeding. And even then abstinence is suggested in fear that the "flavor" of the milk will change risking putting the baby off the bewb.

no worries, didn't come across the wrong way. the recommendation was for like 1/2 a beer a week or so after 4th month. my wife had a glass of wine from time to time while pregnant with our first child, to no ill effects whatsoever. heck, i'd bet that a lot of folks on this list were in the womb while their mom's were smoking, so - actually, that might explain a lot ;-)

I guess I came off the wrong way. However, alcohol does cross the placenta so why risk it? I just got very worried when a doctor recommended Guinness for iron supplementation

I guess I'm just a conservative person. Hell, my girlfriend gets loopy after a half a beer. I wouldn't want that same amount going to a fetus.

Back