Guinness Extra Stout question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderThePorchBrewing

Reaction score
I have seen several recipes for the Guinness Draught. Can this be scaled up to 6.0% ABV to give a close approximation to the Extra Stout or are they completely different recipes? I like the Draught but my favorite is the Extra stout bottled version here in the US. I really enjoy it while sitting down at night doing paperwork or watching TV and would like to try brewing something close. If the recipes are different can someone point me to a close recipe for the Extra.
TIA
Ben

I agree the Extra Stout is much better, although I'd love to try the Foreign Extra (Export) Stout, which you can't get in the US. If you're interested in a good FES, have a look at mine. Scored 3rd place in a comp, I got a 35, 40, and 43 out of 50. The 43 was the only BJCP judge I had. I am brewing a new batch right now with Maris Otter instead. Also mashed a little lower. It's still one of my favorite recipes. The first one I used UK 2-row instead.

Recipe: O'Daniel's Foreign Extra Stout v5
Brewer: O'Daniel
Asst Brewer:
Style: Foreign Extra Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (43.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.076 SG
Estimated Color: 36.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 61.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 76.60 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 65.45 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 18.18 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 7.27 %
12.0 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 5.45 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 1.82 %
4.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 1.82 %
1.00 oz Challenger [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 21.0 IBU
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (40 min) Hops 23.7 IBU
1.00 oz Challenger [7.00 %] (30 min) Hops 16.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Mash
Total Grain Weight: 13.75 lb
----------------------------
Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 17.19 qt of water at 170.1 F 154.0 F

looks good. I have a yeast cake of 007 that will be available in a week to be washed. will look at ordering the grain and challenger in and giving it a try. thanks

Cool. Let me know how it turns out. What thermometer are you using? Be sure to use a long one. I used a short one for the longest time and this beer always got stuck (higher mash temp than other beers I brewed) because the top of the water and wort was always much cooler than the bottom, even with stirring - so I was really mashing waay high. I was using a short digital. I now use a longer lab type and no more stuck fermentations. Starters are very important but that yeast cake will be perfect. It usually finishes about 1.019-1.020. Good luck!

Back