Guinness Extra Stout Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemist308

Reaction score
I have a case of Guinness Extra Stout Bottles that I'm in the process of emptying. I thought they be great to bottle into until I tried my capper on one of them and it had issues with it. The neck of these are slightly different--less space between bottle top and lip for the capper to grab. Is there a capper that will do these?

yeah i'v got that same red wing arm caper and have never had a problem with the Guinness Extra Stout bottles

I've used a wing capper for those and other weird bottles, but have had a much increased percentage of breaking the bottles. I recommend getting a bench capper if you can spend the money on it. It makes bottling much easier in general, and you don't have to worry about breaking any bottles, even the bottles with weird necks.

-Jon

don't Guinness bottles have the widgets (sp?) in them? sounds hard to clearn.

i have the red wing-capper and found the guiness stout bottles tricky to cap, too. I don't use these bottles because I am just not sure of the seal as I am with other bottles.

Greg

Look at the cappers jaws. the metal parts that grab the bottles neck. most have two sides, pull them out and turn them around. and see if it fits better.

Evan said:
don't Guinness bottles have the widgets (sp?) in them? sounds hard to clearn.

not extra stout. the guinness "draught" bottles have the widget.

Guinness Extra stout > Draught

Ive used the bottles and some have issues and I just recap a couple times if I really have to

rmck1 said:
Ha... Guinness on tap in Ireland >>>> Any exported Guinness...

But the Guinness on tap in Ireland is "weaker". Brewed to a lower ABV to avoid tax penalties that are based on alchohol amounts.

100 years ago, before the beer tax, Guinness had an ABV of 7-7.5% in Ireland, but now is closer to 4%.

The American version does not suffer from the tax penalty so its closer to the original at 6% ABV. But I've read that all export versions of Guinness are actually extract-based. In America, apparently, Guinness is brewed at Labatts, but using hopped extract from Ireland. odd?

nick

Back