Guinness Chocolate Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyC

Reaction score
So my wife is crazy about making cakes (...kinda like my brewing habit). Recently, she made a chocolate cake with Guinness in it. I have to say, it is one of the best chocolate cakes I've ever had. It's moist, just slightly chocolaty and sweet, and the Guinness just gives it a little roastiness. I'm sure you could substitute in your favorite stout. I would highly recommend it to anyone. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients

• 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup dark cocoa powder (not Dutch)
  • 1 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 21 Tablespoons (2 sticks + 5 tablespoons) unsalted butter (softened)
  • 2 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups Guinness stout (measure the beer, not foam)

Process

1. Preheat oven to 325 *F. Grease bottom and sides of a 9x3 inch round cake pan or springform pan. Dust pan with flour.
  2. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a bowl.
  3. In an electric mixer, beat the butter at medium-high until creamy (about 1 min).
  4. Slowly add the brown sugar while beating on high until very light and creamy (about 3 mins).
  5. Mixing on slow, adding the eggs one at a time. Scrape down the sides after with a spatula each egg addition.
  6. Beat in vanilla
  7. Beating on slow, add the dry ingredients in 3 additions. Alternate with the Guinness, pouring it in 2 additions. Mix until just blended -- do not over mix!
  8. Fill the cake pan with the batter and bake for 70-75 minutes at 325 *F or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
  9. Cool completely on a wire rack.
  10. Add whatever you like. We used a sweet, vanilla buttercream that went really well with the cake. Vanilla ice cream would also do the trick.

Give the recipe a shot -- it's really fantastic!

My wife has made several stout cakes. The one that turned out the best was the one made with Youngs.

I did the recipe on epicurious.com for a work pot luck and needless to say it was awesome and well received. It was my first cake from scratch

So my wife is crazy about making cakes (...kinda like my brewing habit). Recently, she made a chocolate cake with Guinness in it. I have to say, it is one of the best chocolate cakes I've ever had. It's moist, just slightly chocolaty and sweet, and the Guinness just gives it a little roastiness. I'm sure you could substitute in your favorite stout. I would highly recommend it to anyone. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients

• 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup dark cocoa powder (not Dutch)
  • 1 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 21 Tablespoons (2 sticks + 5 tablespoons) unsalted butter (softened)
  • 2 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups Guinness stout (measure the beer, not foam)

Process

1. Preheat oven to 325 *F. Grease bottom and sides of a 9x3 inch round cake pan or springform pan. Dust pan with flour.
  2. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a bowl.
  3. In an electric mixer, beat the butter at medium-high until creamy (about 1 min).
  4. Slowly add the brown sugar while beating on high until very light and creamy (about 3 mins).
  5. Mixing on slow, adding the eggs one at a time. Scrape down the sides after with a spatula each egg addition.
  6. Beat in vanilla
  7. Beating on slow, add the dry ingredients in 3 additions. Alternate with the Guinness, pouring it in 2 additions. Mix until just blended -- do not over mix!
  8. Fill the cake pan with the batter and bake for 70-75 minutes at 325 *F or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
  9. Cool completely on a wire rack.
  10. Add whatever you like. We used a sweet, vanilla buttercream that went really well with the cake. Vanilla ice cream would also do the trick.

Give the recipe a shot -- it's really fantastic!

how much cinnamon? it's not in the ingredient list

Great Grandma created this recipe for us.I would like to share it with you and your wife.
Chocolate Slab Cake

Ingredients

* 2 ozs Plain Chocolate
* 5 level tbsp cocoa powder
* 7 tbsp milk
* 3 ozs plain white flour
* 3 ozs plain wholemeal flour
* 2 level tsp Ground Mixed Spice
* 2 level tsp baking powder
* 9 ozs caster sugar
* 3 beaten eggs
* 11 ozs soft tub margarine
* 8 ozs icing sugar. sifted

Method

* grease and line 8 to 9 inch tin. break the chocolate into a bowl add 3 level tbsp of cocoa and 4 tbsp of the milk and place over a pan of simmering water, stir untl smooth, then leave to cool slightly. place the flours, spice, baking powder and 6 ozs of caster sugar, eggs and 8 ozs margarine in a bowl. pour in the chocolate mixture and whisk well for a minit. turn into prepared tin and bake in the oven gas mark 4 for about 50 minits, unit firm to the touch. turn out and cool on a wire rack. sive together the icing sugar, and remaining cocoa heat remaing mararine, caster sugar and milk until sugar disolves. bring to the boil, then beat with iceing sugar until it thickens. using a palet knife spread the iceing all over the cake and leave to set before serving.

I use a similiar recipe to make cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting. The beer gives the chocolate depth with some roasty and smoky flavors.

Eric

Back