guinness bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a bent wire. Since I 'bought' my bottles from the dumpster behind a Mexican restaraunt, many had limes in them, and needed a wire to harvest the limes.

Bigger problem with the Guiness bottles was cutting the labels off...all for a substandard bottle- 11 oz.

Not do change the subject, but the bottles for 90 Shilling are great for re-using. No name on the glass, but a pair of crossed hop flowers. Labels come off with warm water, too.

I've found the guiness bottles are actually the best bottles to use. They're labeled as being 11.5 FL oz but I belive the .5 oz difference is because of the widget.

The label is not glued on so they are extremely easy to pull off. Just carefully put a knife under the label and you slice it off. No more worrying about have to soak the bottles to get the label off.

Also turn the bottle over and get a thin pair of needle nose pliers and you pull the widget right out.

But a little bit of soap/water and a scrub pad gets the lable glue off just fine! I drink Kirin from time to time and i just wash the bottle and scub the lable off. If u put them in cold water for 10-15minutes the lables will just about fall off and then some hot soapy water with a scrub pad gets the glue off!!!

Never really thought of using the Guinness bottles for homebrew but bought a six-pack with a six of Sammy Summer tonight..."black and summers" are good but running low....:drunk: ! Anyhoo, the G's here in MA, USA are nice shape, the plastic shrink wrap label comes off without glue residue, and the widgie pulls out with needle-nose or my chick's tight tongue (good for me :D )! Are you REALLY going to miss the 0.5 fluid ounces?! I can't wait to get up with a hang-over tomorrow just to buy another six (and see my girl pull the widgies)! Uhh, oh, yea, and "work" too. Cheers, MATES! :p

woodstone said:
and the widgie pulls out with needle-nose or my chick's tight tongue (good for me :D )!
Sorry, but I'm calling BS on that one, unless of course you can post a pic. ;)

I use Guiness bottles and really like them as they are not so tall and therefore store on the shelves in my brewery better. Don't like the Guinness however. {Sorry} But what the **** is a widgie? There ain't any foreign objects in my bottles. {I looked} A widget? Ho Ho Ho Merry X-mas and keep ya'll heads down Knife

JacktheKnife said:
I use Guiness bottles and really like them as they are not so tall and therefore store on the shelves in my brewery better. Don't like the Guinness however. {Sorry} But what the **** is a widgie? There ain't any foreign objects in my bottles. {I looked} A widget? Ho Ho Ho Merry X-mas and keep ya'll heads down Knife
They're in the bottles of Guiness Draft.

tim.jamison said:
the guinness draft bottles are great but will the widget have an effect on my beer????

On a lark, I used one of the 'widget bottles' once when I bottled my dry Irish stout, just to see what would happen. It had no effect on the beer at all; it was the same as any other bottle in the batch.

I read on the Guiness website once that the widget is a one-time use thingy. It sits on top of the beer and when the can is opened, a small amount of beer and nitrogen, trapped in the widget, is forced out.

El Pistolero said:
Sorry, but I'm calling BS on that one, unless of course you can post a pic. ;)

El Pistolero,
Can't. :p You called RIGHT and cheers to ya! :p You are the second on my favorites list! I WAS ALL IN AND NOW ALL "OUT". Like now, I'm S.Faced! BTY, work sucked today with a hang over...much like it will tomorrow! AND FOR THE REST OF YA, PULL THE "WIDGIE" OUT WITH A DAMN PAIR OF NEEDLE NOSE ALREADY"...sick of the STUPID POSTS and those that don't pull it out before bottling...I MEAN COME ON ALREADY...USE SOME DAMN COMMON SENSE! I can see the follow-ups now..

Back