Guinness (a BASH)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Sorry, it's time again.

So how do the irish yeast poop out nitrogen again?

Is nitro just the way to carb all stouts?

Guinness without the creamy cascade of tiny bubbles would be pretty damned mediocre.

Kinda like corona is just given the title of "only beer with a lime" and it is just assumed that the brewer envisioned a little lime in each bottle when he had the life changing vision that was, CORONA.........

NOPE!!! it tasted like such ass, that someone like me was cramming all kinds of things in it to make it drinkable. Eventually the common lime became a staple.(even though they are sold separately)

Guinness is just given the assumption that some special magic in the brewers eye made it so freakishly creamy.

Guinness is not the gateway beer for the BMC crowd that I once gave it credit for being.

IT IS BMC......

Ask any fratguy ********* his favorite beers.......

"Well, I HATE Miller!!!! It is so grosss!!!

I drink only good beer, like coors, bud, and sometimes bud ice.........and GUINNESSSS....."

Coincidence? Nope.

99% of them will venture no further and will spend hours debating the vast differences between miller and coors.

Guinness sucks.

Thanks!

Yeah, It sucks, everyone here knows that. But I must say that before I "saw the light" about what a good beer is, I used to love it. Now I know I was wrong.

So now it's BMCG?

I must say that I have to refute your claim. Guinness is the prime example of a Dry Irish Stout. Heck, just being a stout knocks it off the BMC list! And I think that most of the frat boys who claim to drink Guinness do so more because they think that drinking something black as ink makes them look cool.

I will admit that Guinness is sort of like the light beer of the stout category though. Definitely kind of weak and thin, despite it's color.

Wow! Much better response than my last guinness rant.;)

Dry? I suppose, I just taste Creeeeeamy charcoal.

Perhaps I just should have asked if every stout would be better carbed with nitrogen.

I just despise anything that uses a crutch that is generally taken as having some divine right making it better, not something artificial propping it up.

Guinness extra with no widget is actually a decent beer.

The guinness in the new slick coated bottles with the widget is SOOOOOOOOO creamy it makes me want to puke.

I don't taste the charcoal, just the creamy, like reeeeeeaaallllllly creamy water.

I used to love it, thinking it was a true high end beer. I was wrong. Last time I had some I was brewing with a buddy and we finished off a couple bombers of Stone something, probably an IPA or Arogant Bastard or something, and then filled that last bit of time with the Guinness. It was his and I didn't want to insult so I refrained from comment. After a few minutes he looked at me and said this thing is pretty watery. I was thinking where's the roasted flavor, where is the full bodied goodness I remember. Apparently those things only existed until I started drinking a little more varied and brewing my own.

I'll take it over a BMC anyday, but tend to keep myself away from having to make such troubling decisions.

You know, even though many pooh-pooh Guinness, there's still a special place in my heart for a bottle of Guinness Extra, with no gadgets in it.

Then again, I like PBR too, for what it is.

Real men drink whatever the (*&$#^ they feel like, regardless of what anyone else thinks about it. If you like appletini spritzers or whatever, it doesn't matter. It's your buzz -- get it on however you like.

I must not like stouts much then, because I like the Guinness with a widget, but the non-widget extra stout export...ugh.

Just not a fan. To each their own though, that's what I say! (as long as its not BMC cuz I'll always bash that pee water)

It's the punk band bane. Popularity.

Guinness is a good beer. They make a good beer and people like it. So many people that it's easy to get, less expensive than a lot of the other good stouts and it's become more of a household name for stout than it was before a few years ago.

Stouts and porters are gaining popularity. Guinness is part of the reason. Say dark beer and, save for beer aficionados, Guinness is what comes to mind. That's because it's good, it's easy to get and it's less expensive than a lot of the other good stouts. You don't even have to know a lot about beer to know Guinness. And that upsets people's perception of its quality.

if it's popular, mass marketed and inexpensive, it must be crap. Look at all the other popular, mass marketed and inexpensive stuff. It's crap.

Well, not all of it. Violent Femmes are still a great band. Just because they got popular doesn't mean they've ceased to be great. Yeah, they're are better Punk bands out there and a lot of them are not bands anyone would know. Those bands being better does not make Violent Femmes bad.

The Dead Milkmen did Punk Rock Girl. It's catchy and even people who don't like punk like that song. And that's ok. DK didn't stop being good. They made a song a lot of people liked.

But Punk bands and beer suffer the same consequence here. When they get popular, people devalue them.

i like the guinness that comes in the 22oz bottles. they also sell six packs of the curvy bottles, that are not carbed with nitrogen. i think they might refer to that as teh 'export' stout, but i'm not certain.

I like Guinness on Tap. I also Like Killkenny (made by guinness) I am not in college and am 37 years old so have no one to impress. I Dont Like Carona Either though, actually living in San Diego and being so close to the border, even the mexicans don't like Carona. They say its made with Piss water LOL I beleve them. This is the drunken rambling thread right? Just making sure:mug:

As a Guinness lover and a college grad who was in a Fraternity, I still think Guinness is a good beer. I hate Bud, Miller, Coors and Carona. Is the Guinness brewery a BMC? Well with $2 Billion in sales and over 11 million pints sold a year sold in pubs world wide it is easy to see why people can say it is. But to put it in the same category as Bud and Miller. Wow. Nope, not here. Guinness is good, Guinnes for strength.

I must fail at e-sarcasm.
:p

Not familiar with "cogent" that may be where you lost me.;)

I like Guinness on Tap. I also Like Killkenny (made by guinness) I am not in college and am 37 years old so have no one to impress. I Dont Like Carona Either though, actually living in San Diego and being so close to the border, even the mexicans don't like Carona. They say its made with Piss water LOL I beleve them. This is the drunken rambling thread right? Just making sure:mug:

Drunken rambling indeed!

It isn't the advertising or the popularity.

It is the FACT that SWMBO bought a sixer of the guinness with the plastic label covering 90% of the bottle, and..........NEITHER OF US COULD DRINK THE CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!

She used to love guinness, I guess I did too. I think they changed it!

I think they dumbed it down for the BMC crowd!

My brother In law just went to Ireland. No guinness in sight (except for the tourists) he said, all the irish lads were downing budweiser.....

I have a buddy who drinks Guinness because its part of his heritage... I don't think he really likes it all that because of the faces he makes while drinking it. I also do not believe he is Irish and I heard somewhere that Guinness is brewed in England?

I have a buddy who drinks Guinness because its part of his heritage... I don't think he really likes it all that because of the faces he makes while drinking it. I also do not believe he is Irish and I heard somewhere that Guinness is brewed in England?

Guinness if Brewed in many places, but what is served in Ireland, England and the great USA is from Ireland (St. James Gate) the most well known brewery of Guinness. It also brewed in 40+ berweries around the world, and Africa brews more Guinness than any other place (to include Ireland). By Guinness I mean all the types brewed.

Guinness might be like our BMC, but it's a hell of a lot better than actual BMC. The way I look at it, I like the stuff insofar as if there is nothing I like at a bar then a Guinness is not a bad pint to be stuck with.
It could be worse, we could have a national drink that is actually one of the B's, M's or C's of BMC fame.

It could be worse, we could have a national drink that is actually one of the B's, M's or C's of BMC fame.

ohhh man, I felt that burn all the way across the pond!!!:mug:

Honestly, I think the worst part about Guiness is the nitrogen. I know its supposed to mimmick cask ales, but it does it rather poorly. The versions of Guiness you can get that are carbonated instead of served with a widget are much better. Also, when on tap, the proper pour makes a HUGE world of difference. My friend was a bartender when I was in college. He poured me 2 pints one time. 1 with a proper pour, 1 like they would do it at some place like Ruby Tuesdays (straight down, lots of foam etc). I tried them side by side. The improper pour tasted like burnt charcoal water. The proper pour was much fuller bodied and tasted...well like a great Dry Stout.

I don't get the cask thing, casks are usually under carbed, and no nitrogen in sight.

(unless, as I joked earlier, the leprechauns have caused the irish yeast to fart out nitro;))

I don't get the cask thing, casks are usually under carbed, and no nitrogen in sight.

(unless, as I joked earlier, the leprechauns have caused the irish yeast to fart out nitro;))

Thats why I said it tries to mimmick cask ales, but does a poor job. Thats my understanding at least.

Not familiar with "cogent" that may be where you lost me.;)

Drunken rambling indeed!

It isn't the advertising or the popularity.

It is the FACT that SWMBO bought a sixer of the guinness with the plastic label covering 90% of the bottle, and..........NEITHER OF US COULD DRINK THE CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!

She used to love guinness, I guess I did too. I think they changed it!

I think they dumbed it down for the BMC crowd!

yea, buy the big 'ghetto' bottles of guinness, or the six packs with the old yellowish label smacked on them, they are curvy bottles. neither are carbed with nitrogen, and are much more hearty, like a proper stout should be... edit: you should also pick up a 12 pack of smithwicks, it's still brewed in the old eire, whilst most, if not all guinness you can get your hands on in the western hemisphere is brewed in canada.

Just read this whole thread, hell I like what I like and I enjoy a good pint of Guinness if poured properly. I enjoy many beers, if I enjoyed a refreshing BMC then I would be happy with that but thats not my style. How can you knock people enjoying it whether its your taste or not? Seems a lot of people enjoy it. I like what I like and thats a wide and select range, cue drunken ramblings...

Lol, cheers Pommy.

My point is that I don't think as many people like it as say they do.

People can stomach it and feel like they are drinking a cool beer.

If you really like good beer and still like guinness, it is possible that your tastes are completely alien to mine, but my honest guess is that you need to broaden your horizons.

And YES the *****ey slick new plastic labels and the billions on slick ads don't help.

I love Guinness. I also drink Miller products and Schlitz when the fancy strikes me. They are all fantastic beers, just because you don't care for the style isn't the beers fault.

Lite beers are the real enemy. I just can't understand that crap. It tastes soooooo bad.

I love Guinness. I also drink Miller products and Schlitz when the fancy strikes me. They are all fantastic beers, just because you don't care for the style isn't the beers fault.

Lite beers are the real enemy. I just can't understand that crap. It tastes soooooo bad.

Miller is lite, I guess you mean their non lite line up, but I drink the lite too on occasion.

I believe it has no rice or whathaveyou.

Ultra.........*shivers*....and lime *again shudders*, while OK with a fresh lime (in fact miller with a lime is 10X better than corona, which is piss) the pre limed bud or whatever is pure madness. I mean WTF when a LIME is 50 cents.

Even corona has the sense not to pre-lime.

My brother In law just went to Ireland. No guinness in sight (except for the tourists) he said, all the irish lads were downing budweiser.....

LMAO!!!!! Tell you're Brother in law he went to the wrong bars. As an Irish barman I can tell you there is certainly more Guinness being drank in the average Irish pub than Budweiser. (now it would be different in clubs)

As for the people who are saying Guinness is only nice if its not carbonated please note that the yellow label "Foreign Extra Stout" is a different beer. It's not simply Guinness without the N2. (Thick roasty and over 3% stronger)

So you don't like Guinness yourself, fair enough but most posts here reek of EAC in the bad way. Just because it's popular doesn't make it crap, just because yeast don't release N2 doesn't make it an appalling way to serve stout (Beamish and Murphys do this too).

Most here will listen to arguments such as "I don't like stouts that thin" or "I prefer a more heavily roast stout", but saying "Such and such is only drank by posers who don't know good beer" is not a comment on the beer.

Criticise the drink, not the drinker...

:drunk:

OK, last night went to a local restaraunt. I decided to get a guinness, hopefully properly poured.

The menu was sadly lacking any description (like: draft, bottle, price even...)

I was brought one of the shiny bottles.

AT THE BOTTOM....... IT SAYS

"SERVE EXTREMELY COLD"

Sorry fellas. Point match game.

I sent it back (I felt like an ass, but the waitress seemed to understand). As I sipped my sam adams summer (with no glass...........) I pondered whether any real brewery could in good concience put that on a bottle.....

Sorry, the day I see "serve extremely cold" on a stone bottle, I'll eat my hat.

Beer snob? SURE!!!

The guinness in the bottle is terrible, to me.

I agree not everyone should feel the same, but if tons of people liked spinach and prawn ice cream, I would probably ask them WTF.

I like a lively discussion. Thanks!

Back