Guilty movie pleasures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eugenio

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone see the movie Knights of Badassdom before? Its absolutely ridiculous, not smart at all, nor is it in any way groundbreaking...but did I have fun watching it.

Plus, it has this:
48naTE1.jpg

What are some of your other movie guilty pleasures for days when you just don't want to think, and enjoy something fun?

The Kentucky Fried Movie, Airplane and This is Spinal Tap. Then throw in the Troma's The Class of Nuke 'Em High and Troma's War.

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil is a great send up of horror movie tropes, I highly recommend it.

Anyone see the movie Knights of Badassdom before? Its absolutely ridiculous, not smart at all, nor is it in any way groundbreaking...but did I have fun watching it.

Plus, it has this:
48naTE1.jpg

Is that Peter Dinklage?

I'd have to say Tremors, 1 & 2 at least. After that it just gets too stupid.

Also, the Naked Gun series. I tried to get my wife to watch, and she just looked at me like I was an idiot. She only tolerated Airplane.

This is Spinal Tap, Napolean Dymomite, and Dumb and Dumber come to mind. I love them and they're pretty stupid.

I think Napoleon Dynamite is wickedly smart in a subversive kind of way. Plus its hilarious.

My confession is that I am drawn to any science fiction or comic-based movie regardless of how well made it is or not. At this point, my wife just prefers to stay home and I go watch it by myself or with my youngest, if I can talk him into it.

I guess the last really good bad movie I saw was Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier. Man, was that dumb. But I liked it.

I'll add in Time Bandits, and some that you might not expect, but they're some of my favs: The Quiet Man, The Secret of Roan Innish, The 13th Warrior.
I'll put on a DVD, curl up on the couch with a snack & a beer and just relax, zone-out & enjoy the movie. Often I'll nod off & have a short nap while watching. They're not boring movies, it's just that I've seen them all many, many times & they provide something familiar, comfortable & enjoyable.

My other "guilty movie pleasure" is this: Every couple of years, I'll go to the theater & make a day of it. I'll watch movie after movie, starting when they open & taking a break for lunch, then back for more movies. Sometimes I'll take a break for supper & then go back for 1 last movie, but usually after supper it's home, drinks & an evening of female companionship. ;)
Regards, GF.

The princess bride is one of our go to movies on a blah day. Yes, it is a sickening sweet love story, but some the dialog is just so funny.
Army of darkness is great bad movie as well.

I'll add in . . .,The Secret of Roan Innish

One of the very best movies I've ever seen. Not a guilty pleasure, just a great piece of art. It works like a fable does - telling truth although not factual or even realistic. Thanks for the reminder, we should really watch that again. I don't think my boys have ever seen it.

Plus, it has this:
48naTE1.jpg

What are some of your other movie guilty pleasures for days when you just don't want to think, and enjoy something fun?

I call your Imp and raise you River Tam

32c5e6d6bc128981590737340baa28b7.jpg

When I'm looking for mindless, brutal war scenes... Ironclad

I guess there is nothing horribly guilty...although I long for the day I have kids so that I can enjoy some Ernest Goes to Camp with them. I don't know. That guy just killed me as a kid.

I once bought a DVD with 5 discs for $5.

They are some of the worst (best) exploitation films ever made.

no you've never heard of any of them.

Think I will go watch one of them now! Grab me a beer and some snacks and friggin ZONE OUT!

When I'm looking for mindless, brutal war scenes... Ironclad

I guess there is nothing horribly guilty...although I long for the day I have kids so that I can enjoy some Ernest Goes to Camp with them. I don't know. That guy just killed me as a kid.

At my brothers bachelor party, I rented out a bar and we played beer pong, P&A, flip-cup, Soul Calibur matches, etc. We kept score all night.

The winner got $50 to Best Buy.

The loser got a copy of... Ernest Goes to Camp. :mug:

I love watching movies like this but my wife doesnt have the same sense of humor at all. Airplane and Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail.

I haven't seen that movie before. I wouldn't hesitate with any of these regardless of mood.

Falling down, blues brothers, rock/metal concert dvds, strange brew, grumpy old men, flockers, office space, and 40 year old Virgin.

I have a few, I just can't get tired of, and when there is time to kill, you bet.
Dumb and Dumber, The Next Friday, Super Troopers, Grumpy Old Men 1 and 2, and Iron Eagle (Chappyyyyyyyy!!??) No chart toppers by any means but man, when I want to watch a movie, these will make me smile everytime.

There's Something About Mary.

My kids and I have watched it so many times that when we're all together, Mary quotes are flying. Just about any topic or event has a corresponding line from the movie. People who haven't seen it a hundred times have no idea why we're all talking nonsense and laughing hysterically.

There's Something About Mary.

My kids and I have watched it so many times that when we're all together, Mary quotes are flying. Just about any topic or event has a corresponding line from the movie. People who haven't seen it a hundred times have no idea why we're all talking nonsense and laughing hysterically.

My best friend and I do the same thing with Big Lebowski and O Brother Where Art Thou quotes.
My wife is usually not amused. :D

Agree, seems like I've know almost every line from OBWAT! Such a quotable movie. I consider it a masterpiece though, and not the type of movie that I think the OP was talking about.

I agree with you there. My wife says it's stupid so she thinks it would belong here. Doh

hate to admit it, but I'll watch "Just One of the Guys" if it's on

some good quotes in that one, especially from the younger brother

Buddy: [on the phone] Hey, yo, scumbag! Suck your own! Eat me.
[Terry stares at him in bewilderment]
Buddy: Mom says 'hi'.

&

Rick: Are those what I think they are?
Terry: I'm sorry...
Rick: Where do you get off having t!ts?

This weekend my daughters had friends over and the wife was out so I settled in to watch one of the 8 movies I got for $5 a few years back. I have been saving them for that special time when nobody else is around and you A) don't want to ruin their afternoon with crap movie, and B) don't' want them to know what kind of really bad movies you sometimes want to watch!

This one was called, "Single Room Furnished" starring Jane Mansfield. This guy who looked like the classic investigative reported started the movie with a monologue stating how awesome Manfield's acting is and how this is her greatest accomplishment yet, in her last film before dying in an accident.

Surprisingly my 15yo daughter decided to join me and we sat through the whole thing. It was slow. It was more of a creepy statement on relationships in the big city and mental health I am guessing.

Also surprisingly, Jane Mansfield did a really good job in it, especially when you consider the plot and script. Wife came home while we were watching it and rolled her eyes.

Only one mention of Strange Brew in this thread, on this site?

Geez... that's a classic.

Only one mention of Strange Brew in this thread, on this site?

Geez... that's a classic.

Because there is no reason for that film to be a "guilty pleasure".

exactly. I am quite unabashed about my love for that movie

throwing the disk and it lands in the dog's mouth, "nice catch, but can he hit?"

"he was in the crease! he was in the crease"

"give in to the dark side of the force, you knob"

For me, it's mainly racing movies.
Grand Prix
Lemans
Funny Car Summer
Then of course, sci-fi;
First Men in the Moon
The Time Machine
The War of the Worlds
The Day The Earth Stood Still
Gotta love that 50's sci-fi music;

Last edited by a moderator:
Conan the Destroyer.

Who can resist Ahnold and the lovely Olivia D'Abo? Also Grace Jones and Wilt Chamberlain!

And of course nobody admits they will stop to watch Flash Gordon. It's ok. We all know.

Back