Guidance on Kveik

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajae

Reaction score
I posted this over on the General Discussion area but i haven't received any info like I thought i would.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/wlp518-opshaug-kveik.672957/

It's day 3 and the yeast has dropped of but it still looks like it super active. Will the yeast drop out like other yeast do?

I still have it at 88F, should should i drop the temp, if so , to what temp? Any info would help me out here, thanks.

Why you didn't get replies:
This isolate is relatively new.
It's not as estery as other kveik cultures, so people probably aren't overly concerned with its flavor.

I can't speak to this particular culture but I've seen a lot of mixed results regarding how much these kveik cultures flocculate. Personally I've used 3 different cultures and none of them flocculated well.

I don't see any reason to drop the temperature. I bottle my kveik beers while they're still hot.

Hope this helps.
You can try asking on this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/kveik-all-things-opshaug-strain-version.668436/

Why you didn't get replies:
This isolate is relatively new.
It's not as estery as other kveik cultures, so people probably aren't overly concerned with its flavor.

I can't speak to this particular culture but I've seen a lot of mixed results regarding how much these kveik cultures flocculate. Personally I've used 3 different cultures and none of them flocculated well.

I don't see any reason to drop the temperature. I bottle my kveik beers while they're still hot.

Hope this helps.
You can try asking on this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/kveik-all-things-opshaug-strain-version.668436/

Thanks for the info, So i'm just waiting until it drops out and then bottle? no need to crash the yeast out?

I never cold crash because I'm more concerned with preventing oxidation than reducing sediment.

Whatever you normally do is fine. It's not that different than any other yeast, just more tolerant of high temps.

I never cold crash because I'm more concerned with preventing oxidation than reducing sediment.

Whatever you normally do is fine. It's not that different than any other yeast, just more tolerant of high temps.
So i should just leave it at 88F the whole time? then keg? OR should i let it slow lower itself to my brew home temp of 68?

So i should just leave it at 88F the whole time? then keg? OR should i let it slow lower itself to my brew home temp of 68?
I recommend to leave it at 88°F until it's done fermenting. Lowering the temp might cause it to stall if it's not finished.

Just transfer to the keg when it's done (or spund if you're set up to do that).

I recommend to leave it at 88°F until it's done fermenting. Lowering the temp might cause it to stall if it's not finished.

Just transfer to the keg when it's done (or spund if you're set up to do that).
Great, thank you very much for you help.

Back