Guanabana sour beer, other werid fruits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldsock

Reaction score
Just racked 3 gallons of pale sour beer off of 4 packages of Goya Guanabana (Soursop) puree. The results are better than I expected, especially with the slightly cheesy flavor the puree had going in. The fruit has an odd hybrid tropical fruit somewhere between citrus (espcially pineapple) and coconut/banana.

Any other suggestions for interesting fruits people have tried with good results? This was my first trip beyond the usual suspects (cherry, raspberry, blackberry, peach).

I've been wanting to try rhubarb (although not technically a fruit).

Guanabana was one of my favorite fruits in Ecuador.

Naranjilla might be worth a try if you can find it. It's kind of a lime/strawberry cross flavorwise, maybe sort of rhubarby.

FYI - Guanabana has been know to cause parkinsons disease

According to research in the French West Indies, yes. Studies in Peru have shown that it decreases the incidence of Parkinson's.

Personally, I'm waiting for a peer reviewed article in a respected journal one way or the other before taking either result too seriously.

wiki info on the compound found in it.

Annonacin is a chemical of the class of acetogenins, found in fruits such as the guanabana (and other from Annonaceae family). It is a member of the class of compounds known as acetogenins. Recent reports have shown that daily consumption in rats caused brain lesions consistent with Parkinson's disease.[1] [2]
Amongst other acetogenins, Annonacin is reported to block Mitochondrial Complex I (NADH-Dehydrogenase), which is responsible for the conversion of NADH to NAD and the build-up of a proton gradient over the mitochondrial inner membrane. This effectively disables a cell's ability to generate ATP via an oxidative pathway, ultimately forcing a cell into apoptosis or necrosis.

I could see the flavor being good for beer, but the can I had of Guanabana nectar one time had the consistency of man milk.

FYI - Guanabana has been know to cause parkinsons disease

I had read that as well, but figuring we have 2 gallons of the beer split between the two of us over the next year or two I'm not too worried. Especially since most of the puree got dumped after a month of aging.

I had read that as well, but figuring we have 2 gallons of the beer split between the two of us over the next year or two I'm not too worried. Especially since most of the puree got dumped after a month of aging.

LOL…I know, I just had no idea what guanabana was so I googled it and the Parkinson thing came up. I drink a lot of Tonic water and the main ingredient “quinine” is a carcinogen but that’s only if your drinking gallons a day for your entire life…

LOL…I know, I just had no idea what guanabana was so I googled it and the Parkinson thing came up. I drink a lot of Tonic water and the main ingredient “quinine” is a carcinogen but that’s only if your drinking gallons a day for your entire life…

the gin i place in mine should counter that right?

Anyone ever use Prickly Pear? Considering adding a few pounds to the other half of this batch.

Anyone ever use Prickly Pear? Considering adding a few pounds to the other half of this batch.

Ive played with it a bit, kind of a cotton candy flavor very subtle, in the few 1gal trials it didnt leave much flavor interesting color though....

Ive played with it a bit, kind of a cotton candy flavor very subtle, in the few 1gal trials it didnt leave much flavor interesting color though....

How much did you use?

I just tried the Tart Lychee from New Belgium and that was a great beer. I just found some lychee in my produce market and I'm thinking it will go great in a Berliner Weiss. But might also be nice in a pale sour.

How much did you use?

I tried 0.5, 1 and 1.5# per gallon, they were good but very subtle, I could see it working in a lambic that is very bright and citrusy sans funk

If you can get a hold of them saguaro fruit has a bit more flavor and color

I tried 0.5, 1 and 1.5# per gallon, they were good but very subtle, I could see it working in a lambic that is very bright and citrusy sans funk

If you can get a hold of them saguaro fruit has a bit more flavor and color

How did you process it?

Ive been shooting emails back and forth with Sebastian P, he is a big fan of the prickly pear concentrate. Sadly the stuff is ~$30 pt, which is enough for a subtle flavor in 5 gallons.

I had to first dethorn them, after that i "chopped" them up, I put that in quotes because when they are really ripe they kind of turn to a pulpy mush

have you ever had the fruit by itself? it doesnt have very much flavor other than sweet, although maybe the concentrate provides a better flavor, do you have a link?

I had to first dethorn them, after that i "chopped" them up, I put that in quotes because when they are really ripe they kind of turn to a pulpy mush

have you ever had the fruit by itself? it doesnt have very much flavor other than sweet, although maybe the concentrate provides a better flavor, do you have a link?

I've had a few things made with it, but I've never dealt with the fruit fresh. I wasn't even aware we could get it around here until my friend mentioned seeing it at the supermarket.

Here you go: 32 oz Prickly Pear Nectar Concentrate

I've had a few things made with it, but I've never dealt with the fruit fresh. I wasn't even aware we could get it around here until my friend mentioned seeing it at the supermarket.

Here you go: 32 oz Prickly Pear Nectar Concentrate

Ouch 50$ is a lot for that bottle, they have it for 45$ here

http://www.desertusa.com/web_cart/db/pages/9066D.html

Ill have to look to see if they sell small bottles locally to try it out, have you tasted the concentrate or the resulting beer made with it? Im really curious to hear how the flavor comes through from it?

Have you guys tried dates, figs, grapes, raisins? And with each of these there is a huge range of varieties.
I'm planning to try to ferment out a Dubbel and then add dates and bugs and try a gallon batch. I was thinking the dates will provide the extra sugar for the the bugs and also help bring out that dark fruit taste I really like in Dubbels.

Have you guys tried dates, figs, grapes, raisins? And with each of these there is a huge range of varieties.
I'm planning to try to ferment out a Dubbel and then add dates and bugs and try a gallon batch. I was thinking the dates will provide the extra sugar for the the bugs and also help bring out that dark fruit taste I really like in Dubbels.

Ive played around a bit with dates, they lent a very fruity nose to the beer, I havent tried it carbed (still aging in bottles), but tasting it still there was a nice but fairly subtle flavor, I do think they could be a wonderful addition to any dark belgian

I would try to get fresh dates, Medjool are good eating but dont have as much flavor as others like Halawy, if you can I would suggest getting some halawy, deglet and medjool dates for the full complement of flavors, I also highly suggest heavily caramelizing them for additional flavor

Ouch 50$ is a lot for that bottle, they have it for 45$ here

http://www.desertusa.com/web_cart/db/pages/9066D.html

Ill have to look to see if they sell small bottles locally to try it out, have you tasted the concentrate or the resulting beer made with it? Im really curious to hear how the flavor comes through from it?

I have not tried the concentrate or the beer, but I've tried his beer and one of his recipes before (both were excellent). He said his issue with the fresh was a "green-vegetable type" flavor despite different methods of using it, every run into that?

I’ve done raisons and dates (dried and date sugar), the date sugar was the best of the bunch (rehydrated in some hot water and added to secondary). I’ve tried adding wine and grape juice as well with varying results, but I’m hoping to get my hands on some grapes this fall.

I have not tried the concentrate or the beer, but I've tried his beer and one of his recipes before (both were excellent). He said his issue with the fresh was a "green-vegetable type" flavor despite different methods of using it, every run into that?

No, I havent come across that, although Id bet that the ones that you get are picked very unripe relative to the ones I get (walks outside and picks off a cactus....) There are quite a few varieties as well, most of which are not really sweet, and are used in stews like a vegetable

If your interested, when they are in season around here (sept-nov) I could poke around and see whats available locally and if you want I could ship them to you

also, if your interested there is a traditional drink called colonche, where the juice/pulp is boiled to a thick syrup and fermented, unfortunately i havent come across it yet....

No, I havent come across that, although Id bet that the ones that you get are picked very unripe relative to the ones I get (walks outside and picks off a cactus....) There are quite a few varieties as well, most of which are not really sweet, and are used in stews like a vegetable

If your interested, when they are in season around here (sept-nov) I could poke around and see whats available locally and if you want I could ship them to you

also, if your interested there is a traditional drink called colonche, where the juice/pulp is boiled to a thick syrup and fermented, unfortunately i havent come across it yet....

Sebastian lives in Tuscon, so I assume he is getting them plenty fresh/local.

We'll talk in a couple months, I'd love to get my hands on some fresh/ripe examples.

Colonche sounds odd good luck tracking some down (or making some).

the strangest fruit i've used was kiwi's. it didn't turn out as i'd hoped so i bottled about 2 gal and put the other 3 gal on a coupla lbs of organic blueberries. i've been thinking about tying other strange fruits like starfruit. mango's sound excellent but i'm yet to try. i love guarana so that might be a good place to go next:)

from wiki:
As guarana is rich in caffeine, it is of interest for its potential effects on cognition. In rats, guarana increased memory retention and physical endurance when compared with a placebo.

^^maybe it'll help with memory loss while drinking:cross:

So with all that talk about prickly pears I had to try it. I guy from my brew club brought in his mead and it was great. And then he said that he has a bunch left over from this year's crop. He gave me a few pounds and I made syrup out of it as he suggested since once you pick them they can go bad very quickly.
It wasn't too difficult to make and the flavor is unique. I just found another variety that I'm going to try to see if there is a difference.
I posted on my blog about the syrup making process.
http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/2010/09/prickly-pear-syrup.html

Oh and I was reading the description of the commercial stuff:
"Prickly pear extract has also been shown to reduce the severity and occurrence of hangovers if taken in advance of drinking" - well I hope it works if mixed in with beer.

Back