Gruit ale recipes and IBU of gruit herbs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWasheville23

Reaction score
I want to find out more information on the use of gruit herbs in developing a few different recipes for ales that are based primarily on the use of traditional Gruit herbs. Does anyone know the IBU units for some of the certain herbs used (fresh and/or dry)? Traditional herbs used include Mugwort,Yarrow, Sweet Gale, and Rosemary, among many others.

Has anyone made a successful gruit ale (either with only non-hopped herbs or with a moderate amount of hops to supplement)? Can you share that recipe here and add comments about taste and effect? Thanks!

I believe the IBU scale is directly related to the presence of isoalpha acids from hops. Other herbs that do not provide these acids could provide bitterness, but by definition would provide zero IBUs.

I know that doesn't really answer your question, and as I've never brewed a gruit, I couldn't give you any advice on a comparative level.

Yep, hops are required for IBU. Other bitter herbs may provide a bitter taste, but since IBU is measured by the amount of isomerized alpha acids, you can't measure the bitterness of those herbs in the same fashion.

There are a couple examples of "zero IBU" IPAs which use the herbs that you mentioned in lieu of hops.

Back