Growth end of bine gone, do I prune bine out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saunassa

One Life Brewing #lifeistooshortforcrappybeer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Was looking at my Willamette and the tip of one of the three bines I am training is gone, deer, bird or storm damage. Do I need to cut and unwrap this one from the rope and let the other two continue? That it can no longer grow more then the three foot height will it try to side arm and mess up everything?
New to hops but getting a kick on how fast they grow.

It has been a few years since I grew hops, but I cut broken ones back. It's a lot like topping a tree and the height is capped at this point. I had other viable bines and by cutting these back, it allowed those resources to the ones that had a chance of reaching full height. You will likely get something from the broken one, but it won't be like the yield of the others.

Sometimes commercial growers have to deal with the aftermath of a hail storm that damaged many of the growing tips of their hops. What normally happens is the node below will send the sidearms into action in a week or so and at this point they head to the fields and retrain one sidearm and cut the other one off. The trained one acts as the dominant growing tip and the farmer still manages a harvest.

Attachments

• Broken tip.jpg
    Broken tip.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35

Latest posts

Back