GrowlerWerk Ukeg 128 Psi went down during Force carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexcasta5

Reaction score
Hello everyone ! So I had a question about my Ukeg. I filled it with my homebrew on Sunday and turned the co2 all the way to the 15 psi as instructed to force carbonate. I noticed today however that the psi is sitting at around 12psi is that something that happens during force carbonation. Any information would be much appreciated. Just want to know whether to leave it or change the capsule to get it back up to 15psi?

Attachments

• 9B86A5E0-B5C8-4716-9D4F-D68A031FE190.jpeg
    9B86A5E0-B5C8-4716-9D4F-D68A031FE190.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
Chances are you are nearly out of CO2. If you want more carbonation youll have to depressurize and change out the canister. 12 psi @ 38° is spot on carb for most ales if it is equalized. You will still need to change it out once you start serving though or the pressure will drop with each pour.

I guess Im wondering if it is okay to just leave it as it is and change it tomorrow since that’s when the beer should be fully carbonated. Or should i just depressurize and add another canister and crank it up to 15psi again

I dont see why not. If its not fully carbed though that pressure may go down so keep an eye on it.

However, if you do add a new cartridge I wouldn't crank it up to 15. I would set it at your desired pressure and leave it otherwise you may overcarb it slightly.

THe volume of CO2 in the cartridge, the volume of beer in the vessel and the volume of headspace in the vessel.

They all come to equilibrium after a few days.
So.
The high pressure CO2 is limited by you setting 15psi in the vessel, but the liquid is dissolving/absorbing CO2, using up the cartridge, until there's no more. I cannot calc what might dissolve into the beer, not knowing volume, temp, original CO2 content, and time. There is (search) a way to determine whether your 8gm or 16gm or XXgm cartridge has been used up by determining what was in the beer to start with, and 12 psi at some temp now, if it has stopped absorbing. It usually take a few days.

But your cartridge is likely done. And if it's registering 12psi, I am tempted to say leave it unless you can change cartridges without releasing all the pressure on the vessel which wuold simply be a waste of CO2.

So I used 16grm co2 cartridge in a 128 Ukeg that holds about a gallon a beer. I followed the instructions which stated to purge the system to rid the keg of any oxygen and then crank the turn valve all the way to 15 psi to force carbonate for 2-3 days.

Today is day 2 of the force carb and i have not adjusted the psi gauge at all but it’s sitting at 12 psi.

I know co2 is probably going into the beer but I Just wanted to know whether to just leave it as is until the co2 runs out and then change it. I have one more day left so I just want to know whether just wait and change it tomorrow when I do my first Pour, or just do it now.

damn, and here i was thinking this was a HP gauge on a tank.......my corny's are only rated to 80 psi......

a gallon of bee, 2.5 volumes of CO2, will take about 8-10gm of CO2
At day 2, you're still absorbing, it isn't done yet. Some will say it takes a week.

Leave it. At this point, I'd refrigerate if not already, and turn down to 8-10 psi..

[Edit: I am not certain about that 8-10 grams. @doug293cz is my goto calc guru for things like this]

I have 2 uKegs and this is normal for me. I use one 16g cartridge and leave it at max PSI for 2 full days, in the fridge, swirling whenever I can. Then I swap in a new cartridge on day 3, purge, and set it for 5 PSI just to dispense some beer. If it's good, I just leave the second cartridge at 5 PSI. If it needs more bubbles, I crank the second cartridge up to max PSI for another day. However it goes, you'll get better equilibrium on days 4 and 5, if your beer lasts that long.

Back