Growlers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consiglieri

Reaction score
Getting a new fancy growler for a birthday present. Question - do the growlers with draft taps keep beer fresher longer? (Presumably so you can take some out without exposing the rest.) Does it make a difference? Thanks!

Do you mean the kind that you hand pump/squeeze air into, or the kind that use CO2? If the former, there's no hope of maintaining freshness. If the latter, it's possible, if the growler fill included a CO2 purge.

I have the keg king growler with tap. It takes co2 cartridges and I filled a red into it and left about 1 pint in it for a couple days then poured it and it was fine. Really cool gadgets.

I have multiple uKeg growlers. The main benefit is maintaining carbonation. Freshness? Probably. but with hoppy beers I'd still fear oxidation. I have purged pre-fill but usually just "cap on foam" and up to 2 weeks seems fine.

The other benefit is that they look great...

Sure the ones with CO2 cartridges will keep beer fine and as others mentioned a CO2 purge before filling or capping on foam will help a lot.

Side note--was completely expecting this to be a question about bottling in growlers.

Back