Growlers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAlexander

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got some 64 oz twist top growlers from a local microbrewery and I was wondering if there are any tricks to bottling in them. Are the twist off's ok? Let me know. Thanks.

I regularly bottle homebrew in growlers. I picked up some heavy duty growler caps from my LHBS. They are much different than the ones your local brewery will give you with a fill. To be honest, I don't exactly know why they are better/necessay, but they were cheap so I didn't argue.

The upside of bottling in a growler is that it is a great size to take to a friends house have a few people taste the brew. If I bring over bottles and let them pour, I tend to watch them like a hawk explaining why not to pour the entire bottle in the glass (yeast).

The downside to growlers is that I have often wanted to taste the progress of my beer during aging. This limits me by the fact that I don't want to crack an entire growler when a bottle would do.

hialtitude said:
I regularly bottle homebrew in growlers. I picked up some heavy duty growler caps from my LHBS. They are much different than the ones your local brewery will give you with a fill. To be honest, I don't exactly know why they are better/necessay, but they were cheap so I didn't argue.

The upside of bottling in a growler is that it is a great size to take to a friends house have a few people taste the brew. If I bring over bottles and let them pour, I tend to watch them like a hawk explaining why not to pour the entire bottle in the glass (yeast).

The downside to growlers is that I have often wanted to taste the progress of my beer during aging. This limits me by the fact that I don't want to crack an entire growler when a bottle would do.

Great, thanks for the input! I'd ideally like to do a little of both, turning a batch into about 24 bottles and 5 growlers. Makes bottling a lot easier and is the best of both worlds. I think I'll see if my LHBS has some of the heavy duty growler caps, can't hurt.

hialtitude said:

This is why I bottle in 12's or 16's. That and if your friends want your beer you don't have to give away a 22 or a growler. Gifts of some 12 ozer's are fun too. I got friends that love em.

Back