Growlers over filled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozennorth

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My local growler bar establishment always fills the growlers to the top. Due to the overfill I often watch precious beer being wasted down the drain while they fill. Then when I get home with my glorious beer, there is a special pour required, moving the glass to the growler, to avoid any spillage. The local breweries always leave a half inch or so to not require acrobatic moves to maintain the zero waste rule, self imposed. Does anyone else experience this? Or, even care?

Maybe it's to account for excess foam due to the temperature differential between the beer and the growler. I'd just be happy with the extra beer.

Hanger 24 and other local breweries here do that here to purge air from the glass. Not sure why, the beer is finished with a day usually.

Stone, ballast point, green flash, etc. and all other of my local breweries do that too. I've got to believe its to cut down on oxygenation. And maybe another (albeit smaller) reason is to differentiate between "opened" and "un-opened" container?

The unopened container never even crossed my mind. That, in itself, makes the point. Nothing ruins a good day more than a bogus open container when Mr. LEO comes by. Good call.

They're removing as much O2 as possible. That's the right way to do it. You could probably store that growler for a month and the beer will still be good.

I went to Hill Farmstead a few months back. I've never seen such attention to detail when they fill their growlers. It takes over 5 minutes for them to fill a growler. They pour extremely slow, and they fill that sucker to the very top. It took me 2 hours to get 3 growlers filled because of it. I saved one of the growlers for 3 weeks, and it was still good when opened.

Breweries here often shrink wrap the cap using plastic and a hot air gun. I appreciate the to the brim pour because one place actually stops short, then likes to add more. I feel that's incorrect but I have no evidence to support my silly opinion.

What I have noticed is the fill is done in such a way to ensure there is no foam and they're capping on beer. It is how I do it at home, but overfill is captured in a bowl and I often drink it before I head out to deliver beer. Sounds safe, right? :D

It is how I do it at home, but overfill is captured in a bowl and I often drink it before I head out to deliver beer. Sounds safe, right? :D

I do the same. I filled a growler on Christmas morning to take over to my in-laws' and poured the overflow into a glass. I had to stop and consider whether drinking half a snifter of a 9% Dubbel (way overshot gravity) at 10am on Christmas morning made me an alcoholic. Then I brushed it off and went about my day.

I do the same. I filled a growler on Christmas morning to take over to my in-laws' and poured the overflow into a glass. I had to stop and consider whether drinking half a snifter of a 9% Dubbel (way overshot gravity) at 10am on Christmas morning made me an alcoholic. Then I brushed it off and went about my day.

Just call it a Jesus shot. :D

Its a holiday, totally acceptable. We had mimosas (and brewmosas for the guys) and bloody marys at our Christmas morning. So if its up to me, you get a pass :mug:

At work we fill growlers to the top and cap on the foam. That's your money's worth, and it will keep a while. Green masking tape around the cap makes it a sealed container in my state.

"It took me 2 hours to get 3 growlers filled because of it."

Let's see... 2 hours in a pub... What is a person to do? :mug:

Actually, it's 2 hours standing in line. There's no pub. You're standing in the brewery. You're only allowed 3 growlers. The growlers have to be the right kind and clean, or they won't fill them.

It's a weird place. It's in the middle of nowhere. It felt like the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld. I think if I said the wrong thing I would have heard 'No beer for you!' and been kicked out.

I was able to get a flight of their beer while waiting in line. The beer lady would bring each beer out one at a time. She picked the order of the beer. Friggin Amazing beer. I'm going back this Summer.

Back