Growlers-how long can beer live in them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-lord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is all stupid but the truth is, I have a number of kegs ready for the kegerator.....can only fit 3 and I have 2 kegs almost ready to kick. More than I can drink by myself and I have a number of growlers.
Since I have a part Saturday night, I want to get the other 2 kegs in tonite and get them on gas to be ready for this weekend.
If I use the growlers to hold them in a fridge, how long should they last in general?

A search shows many of those who sell beers in growlers that unopened, they could last 7-10 days. That sounds like much longer than my guess was.

Beer-lord said:
This is all stupid but the truth is, I have a number of kegs ready for the kegerator.....can only fit 3 and I have 2 kegs almost ready to kick. More than I can drink by myself and I have a number of growlers.
Since I have a part Saturday night, I want to get the other 2 kegs in tonite and get them on gas to be ready for this weekend.
If I use the growlers to hold them in a fridge, how long should they last in general?

A search shows many of those who sell beers in growlers that unopened, they could last 7-10 days. That sounds like much longer than my guess was.

My experience is about 3-5 days in an unopened growler and then they begin going flat

For future reference, might I suggest turning the pressure up on the kegs a day prior if you are going to growler/bottle for longer storage. Otherwise the headspace is going to have a lower carb level and your beer will subsequently have lower carb too. Or Not.

Back