Growler Tap / Dispencer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad2157

Reaction score
Looking to pick up a growler that can be carbonated and also use as a serving vessel. Really like the Growlerwerks uKeg, but they are on back-order and also seem to have bad reviews on Amazon. I like the features of having a built in faucet (not the picnic taps), pressure gauge, can adjust pressure, and also has a sight glass to view beer level. Anyone have any experience with these? I know they have shipped a lot of them out, but seems they may have some design flaws to overcome first.

Any other alternatives that would be worth checking out?

Might check William's Brewing. I believe I've seen something in their catalog.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I may have not been too clear in my original post, but I'm not looking to force carbonate in the growler. I just want to maintain the normal carbonation of the beer. I like the idea of being able to go fill a growler up and have it last for a week without going flat as I drink a pint here and there throughout the week.

I also would like to be able to fill it with home-brew and take over to a friends house, etc.. and be able to keep it cold without needing to put it into the refrigerator. I know this seems pretty easily achievable with the vacuum insulated growlers.

Growlerwerks is overpriced hipster crap IMO. Regarding carbonated, do you mean carbonating IN the growler (NOT recommended) or simply adding carbonated beer to one?

Stanley makes an insulated growler: http://www.stanley-pmi.com/store/stanley/en_US/pd/ThemeID.39334800/productID.325301600

Edit - just chekced reviews of the uKeg. Yeesh. What a mess.

I was going to suggest looking at the Drinktanks. They are pricey, but look cool.

Then I saw Retorik's post. That Stanley is classic retro gold! Reminds me of the old school Stanley my grandfather carried around when I was a kid Amazon has the gift set with the growler and 4 stainless 12oz cups.

Nice!

I actually just bought a Growlerwerks uKeg. It was what I was looking for originally, but they were/are backordered for several months. I lucked up and found one on ebay with a buy-it-now price that was about the same as if I bought it directly from Growlerwerks. Just received it yesterday, but haven't filled it up yet. Very neat features and will do what I want...keep my growler fills from local breweries carbonated and I can take & share my homebrew with a friend.

Finally was able to get my uKeg filled and try it out. The growler itself seems well made, although the small bent tube that delivers the beer seems like without careful attention, it could be a piece that may break easy. I thought I had the adjustable pressure valve all the way off when I put in the co2 cartridge, but quickly found out otherwise. Put in a new cartridge and then found out I overtightened the top lid, causing the rubber o-ring to completely push out on one side and gush co2 out. Backed off the top and got it to stop. First pour was a bit foamy, mostly due to the recent fill beforehand. Adjustable pressure dial on top works well and keeps the beer carbonated. Tap did leak a few drops in the refrigerator over a day or two (yes I could have easily finished off the growler - 64oz). I think it works well and serves the purpose of keeping the beer carbonated. It could use some minor adjustments, but overall I love that it has a normal style faucet and not the picnic taps of competitors.

Well I love my ukeg. I've taken it to a brewery taproom and had it filled twice at my local growler filling place and almost 100% of the people I met in those businesses were intrigued enough to ask me about it. I took it to my last homebrew club meeting with a sample of homebrew and I think everyone who used it wanted one. If you want a great conversation starter and attention grabber that is also an extremely useful bit of equipment, the ukeg is for you.

Drinktanks filed a patent infringement lawsuit against Growlerwerks (unjustified imo but IANAL) which has slowed down their pre-order and Kickstarter backer fulfillments. Many of the bad Amazon reviews are from understandably upset preorder and Kickstarter backers (of which I was one for almost 2 years) who are venting, though there were some legitimate production issues with their early units.

My 64 oz copper clad ukeg has exceeded all my expectations so far. I'm force carbonating some double IPA in it right now which should be ready on Friday. Having used mine numerous times over the last few weeks I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if I didn't have this one.

I humbly submit that on my best or worst day I could not pass for a hipster. Here I am with a ukeg full of POTUS 44 coffee porter at the Black Abbey brewery taproom in Nashville after trying their sampler. Note the crows feet, lack of Fedora and/or skull cap, negative fashion sense, and goofy baby boomer alcohol-induced grin which are all uncharacteristic of hipsters.
blackabbey_zpsgv8ls8on.jpg

A little bit defensive there, methinks.
Which one of the barkeeps said you look like a hipster?

;)

One of the first posts in this thread claimed "Growlerwerks is overpriced hipster crap". Growlerwerks is the company that makes Ukegs. Overpriced is a value judgment I don't share and hipster I take umbrage with.

One of the first posts in this thread claimed "Growlerwerks is overpriced hipster crap". Growlerwerks is the company that makes Ukegs. Overpriced is a value judgment I don't share and hipster I take umbrage with.

I have to admit, you are very un-hipster like in your appearance (as am I). Does that make people like us a "hipster-doofus"? :)

One of the members in my brew club has that same growler and he is much older than me (I'm in my late 40s). It is a great conversation piece and he loves his.

I love the steampunk look of it personally. It's definitely a cool looking growler.

EDIT: I have the 32oz version of the Stanley growler that was posted earlier in this thread. IMO, that's just perfect for taking my homebrew to club meetings for sharing/critiquing. The only "downside" is the 32 oz version are only available in the Hammertone green, but that's the color I like best, so win win.

I have to admit, you are very un-hipster like in your appearance (as am I). Does that make people like us a "hipster-doofus"? :)

One of the members in my brew club has that same growler and he is much older than me (I'm in my late 40s). It is a great conversation piece and he loves his.

I love the steampunk look of it personally. It's definitely a cool looking growler.

EDIT: I have the 32oz version of the Stanley growler that was posted earlier in this thread. IMO, that's just perfect for taking my homebrew to club meetings for sharing/critiquing. The only "downside" is the 32 oz version are only available in the Hammertone green, but that's the color I like best, so win win.

Ha, I thought if I mentioned steam punk I'd immediately be labeling myself as a hipster but I do like that aesthetic.

Is the Stanley growler made by the tool maker Stanley? I suppose not as I would have thought it would be yellow and black if it was.

Ha, I thought if I mentioned steam punk I'd immediately be labeling myself as a hipster but I do like that aesthetic.

Is the Stanley growler made by the tool maker Stanley? I suppose not as I would have thought it would be yellow and black if it was.

I'm guessing they are the same. Mine looks like the old school thermos that had the screw on cup/lid. Here's what it looks like.

10549890.jpg

It's the perfect size for brew club meetings. I like how they are double walled, so I don't have to worry about keeping them iced or cool when we meet in the summer.

Back