Growler question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irisndfan2

Reaction score
Just bought a growler, Should i fill it up when I am bottling and let it "condition" in there, or just pour like 4 or 5 finished beers in it before serving??

Growlers aren't designed to hold that much pressure. I used to do it and it worked fine for a few batches. Then my buddy went to crack into the growler he had stored under the kitchen table...when he picked it up, the bottom stayed behind on the floor and the growler was empty.

Growlers are not good for bottle conditioning as the pressure created will blow out the bottom of the bottle... :)

I was hoping to do this as well to reduce the number of bottles I had to prepare. The guy at the LHBS recommended against it (same reasons that other people mention - pressure). He then said that some people do it without a problem and said that if I were to try, to use caps like this: http://www.stompthemgrapes.com/Corks_Corkers-Polyseal_Screw_Caps_38mm.html. I got a few of those caps but ended up not going this route because I couldn't stand to watch my beer go to waste in case of a problem.

Not trying to get off topic, but what is a growler for if not to carb beer. Are they just used as temporary containers used when pouring out of a keg?

Not trying to get off topic, but what is a growler for if not to carb beer. Are they just used as temporary containers used when pouring out of a keg?

I just asked this question today at Northern Brewer. I guess they're made for transporting, like a pitcher of beer. They should be consumed within a couple hours, no more than a day.

I just asked this question today at Northern Brewer. I guess they're made for transporting, like a pitcher of beer. They should be consumed within a couple hours, no more than a day.

Do you have a link or something from NB? Because with the growler that was purchased for me from NB, they clearly told and encrouaged me to carb in the growler I had. (See above post).

Do you have a link or something from NB? Because with the growler that was purchased for me from NB, they clearly told and encrouaged me to carb in the growler I had. (See above post).

Nope. This was told to me in person. He said they are not meant for condiioning your beer, just for transporting.

How long can pre carbed beer from a keg be stored in a growler?

It depends. If you don't open it and let the gas escape, then probably a week (although I've never left one that long.) I've had a couple that were unfinished on day 1 and were already somewhat flat the next day. If you are opening the top, then it won't last very long.

I had growlers long before I home brewed. It's one way you can buy locally brewed beer, like from a microbrewery or bar that brews their own beer. I get a fill from Colorado Mountain Brewery, Phantom Canyon and Trinity often.

Now I often use them for starters :)

I have a growler that is from big sky brewing co that has a large pop top ( kind of like a large grolsch) and that has worked fine for me. I probably wouldn't use a standard growler as I think that they aren't meant to handle that kind of long term pressure.

Back