Growler Longevity

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

rodwha

Reaction score
How long does beer filled into a growler (flip top) last? Days or a week or longer?

I'm in the hospital while SWMBO's brother is in town, and they are hitting up the good craft beer stops! I need some too!!!

opiate82

Reaction score
Generally I wouldn't let it go more than a day or two once opened. Local place "nitrogen-purges" their growlers before they fill them and they say don't let it go longer than a week unopened then try to finish within 24 hours once opened. Other local place which just fills straight off the tap says enjoy within 4 days of filling.

coolharry

Reaction score
It really depends on how they are filled. Most places I've been to don't take a whole lot of care in filling them to preserve the contents, so I try to drink them the same day or on day two. If they're filled correctly (like you would bottle from a keg), in theory they could last as long as any other bottle of beer. But finding places near me that know how to do that, or care to, is pretty unusual. Most places here seem to have one or two bartenders that know what they're doing, and if they're not there its a crap shoot. I even had a guy a while back fill a pitcher and then pour it into the growler and I about ****.
And of course, once they're opened they should be finished that day.

MaxStout

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure your growler is clean and rinsed before you bring it in. It doesn't have to be sanitized--you're only keeping the beer for a few days--just make sure the crud from the last time has been washed out. A few taprooms give the growler a quick wash, but most I've been to just open it up and fill.

OP
rodwha

rodwha

Reaction score
I usually rinse well and sanitize it before I put them up.

I've just hit a snag and I could be in here past Friday now. I want that beer though! I'm getting it and if I'm not out within 4 days I'll let them kill it.

I usually drink my fills the next day as we generally don't get to these places except when doing a bit of shopping. So I let them chill and settle and drink the next day.

My 2 growlers are only 32 oz flip tops though. Getting a 64 oz growler from this place. I hope it's a flip top too...

wilserbrewer

BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
My growler with the heavy ceramic flip top seals very well! Beer stays nice "forever", or as long as any bottle IME. My screw top growler leaks a little bit of gas slowly....beer was a bit flat after a couple weeks, not bad though.

I would not be concerned with the flip top seal....they work very well for me...screw tops not so much.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I usually rinse well and sanitize it before I put them up.

I've just hit a snag and I could be in here past Friday now. I want that beer though! I'm getting it and if I'm not out within 4 days I'll let them kill it.

I usually drink my fills the next day as we generally don't get to these places except when doing a bit of shopping. So I let them chill and settle and drink the next day.

My 2 growlers are only 32 oz flip tops though. Getting a 64 oz growler from this place. I hope it's a flip top too...
Sorry you're in the hospital! Hope you're better soon.

But since I have your attention :D, where are these great growler places? I want to come spend a couple of days in San Antonio, and my dear friend (whom we'll stay with, as he allows my huge dog!) doesn't drink much beer and has no clue on where to go. Even when he comes to my house, he drinks rum cocktails so he has no discernment on where to get a growler of something great.

He comes from SA to the coast at least 6 times while we're there, and he comes empty handed so it's up to me to pick up good beer while we're in SA. Or if it's close to his house (he lives by the airport), I'm sure I could trade him a growler for some fresh oysters.

OP
rodwha

rodwha

Reaction score
San Antonio has actually come a loooong way in the last few years.

There's The Growler Station (2 locations), one of which is near the airport off of Broadway. They have a nice selection.

Whole Foods has a small selection, but the only one I'm aware of that has beer is at 1604 and Blanco.

Freetail Brewery at 1604 and Military Hwy is a great place for beer!

The Alamo Draft House fills growlers too. Nice place to watch a movie and drink!

Blue Star sells growlers and will refill them. I'm not sure if they need to be their growler or not. They have a nice barley wine!

The Granary sells growlers and very good BBQ. But they only sell a few beers they brew. And their growler (64 oz) is clear with a screw top come to find out. I have a brown ale awaiting my return home. Wish I would have known it was clear and screw topped as I would have passed, though I'm sure it's fine for what it is.

I'm sure there are more, and there are many places that sell craft beer such as The Flying Saucer (400+ beers IIRC).

There's The Friendly Spot which is an outside beer bar. I've yet to go though.

If you need more info don't hesitate to contact me!

jrgtr42

Reaction score
I've kept even screw-top growlers for months with no appreciable loss of carbonation or oxidation. Part is to make sure that it's filler properly - purged with CO2 before filling preferable, but 100% always capped on foam. I also give the top a twist myself to make sure it's tight.
Once opened, I don't trust most beers more than a couple days at the outside. When I open one, I try to finish it the next day, day after at the absolute latest.

wilserbrewer

BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I've kept even screw-top growlers for months with no appreciable loss of carbonation or oxidation. Part is to make sure that it's filler properly - purged with CO2 before filling preferable, but 100% always capped on foam. I also give the top a twist myself to make sure it's tight.
Once opened, I don't trust most beers more than a couple days at the outside. When I open one, I try to finish it the next day, day after at the absolute latest.
Metal or plastic screw tops?
I have the metal ones, they're not so great. Was capping on foam a while ago, wiped the bottle off and notice foam weeping out the top past the cap, tried tightening the cap...conclusion was that the metal caps suck.