Growler for JAOM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin4

Reaction score
So I'm putting together half gallon JAOM kits for the four guys in my family. I could do full gallon, but most are only moderately interested, and I think the growler makes for a cool presentation.

Anyone see any issues? There's no carbonation so the force shouldn't be enough to explode it.

HBt-Growler-Half-Gallon.jpg

If you were just getting started, and you got this what would you think? "I wish he went with a gallon?". I'm trying to consider space and interest. This would fit into most cupboards or pantries if that's where it had to go.

If I had an inkling about brewing, mead, and JAOM, I would be happy to receive the growler kit. It is a gift after all, it isn't it always best to not look a gift horse in the mouth?

Not only that, but it's a nice intro, and the growler is useful for getting takeout beer afterwards. A multitasker!

Sure. The original idea came from an idea I explored on our sister site. My original thought was to do one gallon batches, but then you would be stuck with a one gallon ball jar and you can't really reuse that. I would have to mount the airlock and all that, seems like to much trouble, so I'm halving Yooper's recipe (you're awesome yooper), as U think they are more apt to use the growler as a growler later on.

20 oz Clover or your choice honey or blend (will finish sweet)
1 small orange (later cut in eights or smaller rind and all)
10-15 raisins
1/2 stick of cinnamon
1 whole clove (or 2 if you like - these are potent critters)
Optional (a small pinch of nutmeg and allspice, very small )

1/2 teaspoon of Fleishmann's bread yeast (Do not use old yeast. If you do not have fresh bread yeast you will need to get some)

Balance water to half gallon

I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to do the 20 oz. of honey. I know I'm going to buy 10 lbs at once (I have four guys).

Everything will pre measured, counted, in little bags, and then all of that is going into a basket.

I would suggest mason jars. You can give the recipe, ingredients, airlock, and stopper in one mason jar and the honey in another. It should package pretty nicely.

Smart! I'm going to run out here in a bit and start piecing this together. I'll take pics and keep you guys up to date on what I do.

Looking forward to hearing about it. I would love to do this for friends of mine, but most of them just want to let me do the work and enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Back