Quantcast

Growler for JAOM

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Tin4

Reaction score
So I'm putting together half gallon JAOM kits for the four guys in my family. I could do full gallon, but most are only moderately interested, and I think the growler makes for a cool presentation.

Anyone see any issues? There's no carbonation so the force shouldn't be enough to explode it.

HBt-Growler-Half-Gallon.jpg

If you were just getting started, and you got this what would you think? "I wish he went with a gallon?". I'm trying to consider space and interest. This would fit into most cupboards or pantries if that's where it had to go.

DGibb

Reaction score
If I had an inkling about brewing, mead, and JAOM, I would be happy to receive the growler kit. It is a gift after all, it isn't it always best to not look a gift horse in the mouth?

Not only that, but it's a nice intro, and the growler is useful for getting takeout beer afterwards. A multitasker!

OP
T

Tin4

Reaction score
Sure. The original idea came from an idea I explored on our sister site. My original thought was to do one gallon batches, but then you would be stuck with a one gallon ball jar and you can't really reuse that. I would have to mount the airlock and all that, seems like to much trouble, so I'm halving Yooper's recipe (you're awesome yooper), as U think they are more apt to use the growler as a growler later on.

20 oz Clover or your choice honey or blend (will finish sweet)
1 small orange (later cut in eights or smaller rind and all)
10-15 raisins
1/2 stick of cinnamon
1 whole clove (or 2 if you like - these are potent critters)
Optional (a small pinch of nutmeg and allspice, very small )

1/2 teaspoon of Fleishmann's bread yeast (Do not use old yeast. If you do not have fresh bread yeast you will need to get some)

Balance water to half gallon

I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to do the 20 oz. of honey. I know I'm going to buy 10 lbs at once (I have four guys).

Everything will pre measured, counted, in little bags, and then all of that is going into a basket.

DGibb

Reaction score
I would suggest mason jars. You can give the recipe, ingredients, airlock, and stopper in one mason jar and the honey in another. It should package pretty nicely.

OP
T

Tin4

Reaction score
Smart! I'm going to run out here in a bit and start piecing this together. I'll take pics and keep you guys up to date on what I do.

DGibb

Reaction score
Looking forward to hearing about it. I would love to do this for friends of mine, but most of them just want to let me do the work and enjoy the fruits of my labor.