Growler / bottle filler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

instinct2

Reaction score
Used my growler filler week ago filling up some 22 oz bottles. I've found that if I slowly drop the bottle down as filling I can get a normal fill and have an inch of head or less on top. I've capped the bottles and noticed the head is gone in a day. They're pouring perfectly five to seven days later. Will this method of filling hold up for months on end? I've thought about building a beer gun or buying the blichmann gun... But so far this is working pretty well. Thoughts?

you can use the "we don't need no stinkin beer gun" with similar results.. i use a modified version of that for regular bottling and notice that at the very end, if you just open the tap halfway to give it a shot of co2/beer it'll foam up just a bit over the top.. that's when you want to cap it.. with crown capped bottles i've had the carbonation last over a year (probably would be longer) but i've never tried much more than a day or two with a growler.. thought if the cap has a good seal i'm sure it'll last a while

I fill growlers and bombers for use within a few dayswith a hose connected to my faucet or with a picnic tap with a racking cane stuck into it. I have had beers bottled this way last for 3-4 weeks with no issues. I use a beer gun to bottle anything that I know will probably be in the bottle longer term or for beers bottled to give to people that I don't know how long they will take to drink it. Basically I feel more confident in the beer bottled by a beer gun because of being able to purge the co2 and better sanitation of the stainless but it's always more work to pull out the beer gun.

Latest posts

Back